After Season Buck's

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
skinner
Fawn
Fawn

After Season Buck's

Post by skinner » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:06 am

Our season closed 3 week's ago have watching to see if we complety missed the rut and we did in the last week i got a quick look at one of the buck's i hunted all season and three other buck's i diden't know were around one of them is a cull and need taken but i guess he will have to wait till next year #-o

Mike
A bad hunting is better than a good day at work

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:35 am

How big was the one you were after, any pics?

skinner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skinner » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Brett i think he is a wide 10 point i don't have any pic's seem's like everytime i have got to see him it is at the edge of dark or he is runing away.I found a shed in this same area back in 01 i think he is some of the offspring from i tryed to post a pic of the shed but could not get it to upload.

Mike

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:36 pm

Mike, What are the dates for normal rutting in You area? By those bucks showing up now, makes it sound like the rut is going.

Up here in North Central MN I would say the peak is Nov 7,

It's nice that You have those bucks in Your area, to get another Years growth
of antler for next year! :thumb

skinner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skinner » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:28 pm

waynedevore wrote:Mike, What are the dates for normal rutting in You area? By those bucks showing up now, makes it sound like the rut is going.

Up here in North Central MN I would say the peak is Nov 7,

It's nice that You have those bucks in Your area, to get another Years growth
of antler for next year! :thumb
wayne in area with the weather being warmer than normal and with no snow i think it has just now started.our season most of the time misses the rut last year it was cold and we had snow the first week of the season was great.Yes it is good to know that the bucks got by and another year to grow i wish i could have taken that cull out of the heard.The hunting pressure here being the way it is most folk's just look for antler's not age they don't get a chance to grow.Don't get me wrong i dont blame folk's for wanting to shot a deer but if you kill all the little deer they aint gonna be any left to grow.

Mike

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:06 am

Mike, From what I've seen of deer hunting everywhere. Except on big blocks of private land or where hunting is managed, or very hard to access land.
It's the same everywhere. Those young bucks have a awful time making it though season, and for a buck to make it to that 4 1/2 years it takes for trophy size. I don't know? but I believe it's 1 in thousands.

I'm curios about the cull? Why is he a cull?

I had a buck on the ranch that only grew 1 antler. Got to be 4-5 years old. Had many opportunities to harvest him. Who wants a 1 horn buck (**!!)
This past Fall I was going to take him, but he didn't show up.

skinner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skinner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:18 am

wayne i posted a pic of two buck's on the back of the truck in another tread one had a fork on one side and a long spike on the other this buck look's a lot like him but the fork stick's foward on the cull i think he is a older deer just don't look right.

Mike

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:41 pm

skinner wrote:wayne i posted a pic of two buck's on the back of the truck in another tread one had a fork on one side and a long spike on the other this buck look's a lot like him but the fork stick's foward on the cull i think he is a older deer just don't look right.

Mike
Yup, Good one to cull. And I bet he will make some good eating.
Maybe make some good sausage and jerky. :thumb