Unit 4 Kansas

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
willhunt4food
Fawn
Fawn

Unit 4 Kansas

Post by willhunt4food » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:26 pm

3 friends and I drew rifle tags in Kansas for unit 4. We plan on hunting walk in areas and wildlife areas. We're coming from Michigan so a 2 year old buck would be great. Does any one have ideas on where to hunt?

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Unit 4 Kansas

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 pm

::wel to MULEY MADNESS... Take a minute and tell us about yourself

Here is a link to the Kansas web site http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

I do not think they have updated the 2008 Walk in areas as of yet.

The last few years there has been quite a bit of ground put into the program and I know some people who have done well on walk in areas.

I do not know much about unit 4 but I hunt 14 quite a bit as a friend and I have some hunting ground in 14.

The key to hunting the public access ground in Kansas is to arrive early and scout the area. Find what looks to be good escape routes and travel coridors when the pressure comes opening morning and you are set up in an area that the deer are most likely to escape to you will most likely get a shot.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

cjohnson3006
Spike
Spike

Post by cjohnson3006 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I am a lifelong resident of Kansas. I'm not too familiar with that area for deer, as I grew up in unit 7. Also, I don't have much experience with public hunting as I own land as well as relatives land I hunt on. However, I have hunted pheasants a few miles West of Salina and saw some nice bucks. There is quite a bit of walk-in land there with creek bottoms and draws. The Solomon river valley in that area is well known for some large bucks. Kansas has a lot of agriculture giving deer plenty of nurishment to grow nice racks. I personally wouldn't shoot anything smaller than a buck with antlers at least the width of its ear tips and approximate the same height. Kansas varies with creek bottoms, hedge rows and rolling hills surrounded by crop fields. The deer will rest during the day in tree rows, plum thickets, cattail sloughs and patches of tall weeds. I have kicked large bucks out of areas that looked to small to hold them, so look carefully. If you are around rolling hills, sit back and glass. I like to spot and stalk, possibly taking a few hours to move 1/4 mile. Check tree rows, fence lines and plum thickets very carefully during the day. At around 3:00 or so, make your way to a vantage point to watch trails running through draws, creeks and tree rows leading to crop fields. Most of the nice bucks I have shot happened mid-morning spot and stalk hunting with the wind in my face and sun at any angle except in front of you as well as the last few hours of light. Depending on how long you are to hunt, I recommend to most non-residents to buy an antlerless tag over the counter and shoot the first deer you have a safe opportunity at. That way, you will be able to relax looking for a buck of your choice, instead of hunting very hard for a few days and get frustrated, only to go home empty handed. I have found that for myself anyway, that if I take a doe first, I can concentrate more on the hunt and enjoy the outdoors more. The biggest deer I have hanging on my wall all came a few days after taking a doe. Hope this helps and good luck with your Kansas hunt.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 am

CJohnson ::wel to Muley Madness and thanks for the post. I agree it takes the pressure off by putting that first deer down and some meat in the freezer.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

willhunt4food
Fawn
Fawn

Post by willhunt4food » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:36 am

Thanks for the info. and advise guys. We drew unit 4 with unit 7 as our additional unit. I have been told and what little I could find in kansas web site that we can hunt all of unit 7 too. Do either of you know if thats true? Thanks again Scott

cjohnson3006
Spike
Spike

Post by cjohnson3006 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:28 am

Yes you can hunt all of unit 7. There is a ton of walk-in in unit 7.

willhunt4food
Fawn
Fawn

Post by willhunt4food » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:23 am

cjohnson3006 wrote:Yes you can hunt all of unit 7. There is a ton of walk-in in unit 7.
THANKS

cjohnson3006
Spike
Spike

Post by cjohnson3006 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:48 pm

I think th enew walk-in atlas is online now. Chris

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm

I hunted unit 17 last year and I picked up the walk in atlas at a hardware store. You will definately need to get one if you do not have private access. The walk in areas for deer are usually not too crowded for deer hunting but can be filled up come pheasant season. Good luck, getcha a good un'
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"