getting close to whitetails!

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
dfree
Fawn
Fawn

getting close to whitetails!

Post by dfree » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:17 pm

I was up near Apache lake and glassed up a whitetail buck with a doe, after they bedded I wanted to get closer to take some pix. Well the buck took off but the doe stayed bedded while I walked up to within 20 yards. I walked away and she never got up! Has anyone ever experienced something like this before?

cjohnson3006
Spike
Spike

Re: getting close to whitetails!

Post by cjohnson3006 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Bucks will lay still and let you walk right by them if they feel they are hidden. I've stalked to within spittin' distance of both bucks and does as long as the wind is in my favor.

dfree
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dfree » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Let me clarify, the doe wasn't hidden behind anything we were looking eye to eye in plain view! I took some pix but the file was to big for this format.

mconway951
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mconway951 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 am

Whitetails are a weird animal that way here where I hunt in MN in the urban areas they will walk right through your back yards and eat any plants or shrubs you have. Soem will run when approached and others have just learned to ignore humans to the point people are shooting them with paintball guns to get them to leave.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Those deer that live in urban areas or behind high fence, and those that aren't hunted and with no known enemy's are a totally different critter, then their wild relatives.

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I agree with Wayne and Mconway that where deer are used to humans and are not harrassed by them they lose their fear.....Look in the case of city bowhunts where the almost tame deer are subjected for the first time to hunting pressure (ie:Duluth, MN.. what a joke.. but another story at another time.).....
I assume that you saw these deer sometime close to Jan 5th.....It is very possible the deer was natuarlly ill, maybe from a wound during a hunting season or from a car collision.....I have come across quite a few deer over the years that have acted funny and usually it was one of those three causes....As winter progress and deer weaken this is a very common site in a natural deer yard especially when the snows are deep.....IMO what you saw was not too unusual, at least not for whitetails here in northern MN and WI...

ttl,
Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.