Deep sea fishing

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
The Ox
Monster
Monster

Deep sea fishing

Post by The Ox » Sun May 09, 2010 11:27 am

Hey wanting to get a deep sea fishing trip set up. Has anyone fished off california, if so how was it, would you do it again, and what was the rough costs.
i understand its fairly inexpensive,and you can get private trips as well. was thinkin it would be fun for a family trip down to cali and go deep sea fishing. ive see prices etc for private trips for around 2000 for up to 30 people. anyway anyone with experience with this stuff could chime in id appreciate it! any info! and maybe suggestions of the guides you went if you had a good or bad experience. i understand there is also halibut fishing im interestied in it also. im not picky just wanna catch a good amount of fish and have a good time
thanks!

a_bow_nut

Re: Deep sea fishing

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm

We have went out of Long Beach with Long Beach Sport Fishing a couple of times and have done allright. The fishing was steady but it wasn't fast and furious. We caught mostly bonito and rock fish. I'm not sure when the best time of the year to go down is we just went because we were down there in the fall and wanted to try it out.

Have fun with the seals if you do decide to go. The are a force to be recond with.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun May 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Don't know about southern Cal, but if you want a good time for cheap, look up a little charter boat out of Trinidad called the jumping jack. I would go for rock fish and crab if you want to have a blast and bring home alot of meat. I think it was about $100.00 per person per day all included.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

castnshoot
Spike
Spike

Post by castnshoot » Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 pm

San diego is the only place in Cali. that you can get a real deep sea fishing experience.

It would have to be a minimum of an over night trip out of San Diego. Don't mess with anything north of there.

July, August, ,Sept, or Oct. are your best bets for a trip of a life time.

It is supposed to be an El Nino year this year which is a good thing.

You have a chance for Yellow tail, Albacore, Blue fin tuna Yellowfin Tuna, Big eye tuna, Dorado, Bonito,Skip Jack. Sharks, and bottom fish. Halibut would be a long shot. But during the those months I mentioned there is a chance that one person could catch more fish than your family could eat in a year. More likely though would be one nice fish for everybody on the boat.

You will have to pay more than $2000 for 30 people if you want to catch something worth fishing for. More like $150 per head at least.

These two web sites will answer all your questions.
www.allcoast.com
www.bloodydecks.com

I do it all the time so I should tell you be careful, one good tuna bite can get you hooked into an expensive habit.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm

wow that looks like a ton of fun! id be stoked to catch one or two of those big boys! thanks for the help hoping to make it into a yearly thing if i can have a good time doin it. seems fairly inexpensive imo,for such a fun opportunity. im thinkin after totalling all the costs gas,food, lodging etc with 4-5 people around the 300 dollar mark for a day of fishing. kinda spendy i guess but for a once a year getaway trip and have fun with family or buddies seems like pretty cheap memories. i have spent that much on hunting over a weekend and this is much more reliable than getting hunting tags nowdays.