Provo River Brown Spawn

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Provo River Brown Spawn

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

My dad and I traditionally go fish the Provo in November between our birthdays. We went this morning and fished the lower section around Sundance. We had a blast, caught lots of fish. Nothing huge, with the biggest probably around 18". Most of the fish we caught were off beds, so that was nice. We decided we were done for the day and turned back for the truck. On the bank I noticed this pile of eggs on a piece of bark about six feet up the bank.
Provo (58)-1.jpg
Provo (58)-1.jpg (200.1 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
There are at least a couple hundred eggs there, and most likely came from a couple different females. I couldn't believe it, I was disgusted by it. I've fished the spawn for years, staying away from beds and leaving active spawners alone. Handling fish as gently as possible, even trying not to even remove them from the water and using barbless hooks. I'd never seen anything like that, I can't imagine that you would eat them, maybe somebody is saving them for bait... I would have put them back in the water, but I doubt they would have gotten fertilized.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore