Day at the Gorge

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
79Ford
Monster
Monster

Day at the Gorge

Post by 79Ford » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:03 pm

So a friend of a friend heard about my dads health problems and offered to take my Dad and I out on Flaming Gorge in his boat. We were going to go after some big Mac's, but were told the Kokanee fishing was pretty hot so we went after them instead. On the lake at 6:30am and back off at 9:30am. We caught 7 Kokes (put 3 back to fight another day) and one little Mac. All of my Dads fish were bigger than mine and it was a lot of fun to see him hook onto that harder fighting Mac. It was a beautiful day and much fun was had by all.

Dad reeling in his first Kokanee

Dads biggest Kokanee

Dads little Mac

Beautiful colored meat.
Last edited by 79Ford on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Day at the Gorge

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Very cool, thanks for the story and photos. Great guy who helped you guys have a fun morning. :thumb

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Very cool, great pics. Those looks like some pretty nice kokes. I bet that is a going to be a pretty tasty dinner.
Deadi

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:41 pm

DeadI wrote:Very cool, great pics. Those looks like some pretty nice kokes. I bet that is a going to be a pretty tasty dinner.
Didn't wait for dinner. The thought of those fillets sitting in the fridge was just too much... Made a tasty lunch :)

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Yeah Brett, there's not many people left who will give their time and money to help out somoene else and not expect something in return. My dads friend drove us there and wouldn't take any money for gas and even paid for our breakfast that morning. The guy with the boat drove us to the lake and used his own gas and wouldn't take any money. All we had to pay for was our wyoming fishing stamp.
:thumb to these guys, and hopefully I am just as willing when a similar opportunuty to help comes my way.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am

Nice Koke he's holding there looks like its starting to get its hooked jaw should be spawning there soon looks like.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Yeah, they aregetting ready to spawn. Word on the lake is they should be hot fishing through August and into September when they start to spawn. Both of the Kokes my dad caught were getting a hook jaw, neither of mine were.

A family friend told us about a pond where he's been catching and releasing 5lb rainbows one right after the other. We're hoping to hit it this weekend. I'll post some pics up here when we get back.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:13 pm

great looking forward to it
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.