Judging Antelope

Hunting videos sharing and talk.
Sponsored by: http://www.muleymadness.com/videos/
hunt4duck
Spike
Spike

Judging Antelope

Post by hunt4duck » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Just got back from scouting an antelope area I was drawn for and saw tons. I've never hunted them before and don't really know what BIG is, other than saying this one is bigger than that one if they're standing next to each other. Looked at some articles and an antelopes ear varies in size depending who you ask anywhere from 5.5 - 7 inches and it sounds like mass is a big factor as well as seeing the cutters above the ears. Got this one on video and I think he is a very nice buck. What do you think?

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: Judging Antelope

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:10 am

He is above average for where I hunt and I would probably take him, but I'm not a "book" hunter. My only critique on him is I would like to see a little more width. He has nice cutters and decent enough mass in the base area from what I can see. I'm no prongie expert though.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 am

As I watched the video the second time, I would take him, but that's just me.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:31 am

Seems have good mass, definitely tall. A shooter in my book. I like the looks of him, cutters don't look all that big but hard to tell for sure. 10sign:

Huntin101
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Huntin101 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Definately a great buck. I judge antelope on height by there ears and if they are up to the bottom of there prongs. If they are then thats a good start to a good buck. He has good mass as well. His curl does not look like much but he makes up for that length bellow his prongs. Prongs are probably two to three inches but it can be hard to find a buck with long prongs, really depends on the genetics. I would say he is all of fifteen inches in length and probably more. If a buck is sixteen then its usually a good one. When judging if your trying to get a good score buck, look at mass all the way up, length in height and prong length. Good luck, go get um.

Huntin101
Huntin101