Poacher ruined my hunt!

Talk anything related to Antelope
IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Poacher ruined my hunt!

Post by IDHunter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:33 pm

I just need to vent a little.

I've been archery hunting the same general season antelope area in Idaho for the last couple years. It took a while to figure out how to hunt it, but finally got it. Last year my friends daughter shot a 70" goat and I was able to stick a 77" buck a few days later. This year was looking to be just as good with a nice 75"+ buck running around and a few others that would be pushing P&Y.

Over three weeks before the season started I went out there to look things over and was shocked to find several dead does within a 150 yards of each other. Closer inspection showed that they were shot and left for dead. The antelope had been all over before this and had now vanished. I kept thinking that it was only a matter of time before they returned to their usual pattern but so far they haven't. We are a week into the season now and the only antelope within five miles is a fawn that I've seen several times (I'm positive it belongs to one of the dead does). Unless things change it's not looking real good.

For you antelope experts out there, what's the chances of things getting back to normal after a month of nothing?

camodup
3 point
3 point

Re: Poacher ruined my hunt!

Post by camodup » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow man thats some crap. Did you report it?

But im not an expert on Antelope, but just by guessing id say awhile before they return, if it was such a traumatic experience for them you'd think that they would stay away from that area for a long time, or atleast til they forget what happen there, but again i have no idea on that time frame.

Good luck on the rest of your hunt.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Yes, I reported it. Fish and Game said they would let me know if it amounted to anything. I'm kind of wondering if their investigation added to pushing the lopes out of the area.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Not good......in my experience with antelope, they don't typically dissappear even under extreme pressure. I would scour the area within 5 or so miles and if you can't find them, I fear for the worst. Sorry to hear this sad story and hope that you are able to find a goat to chase for your hunt.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 am

Very sad,poachers can ruin it for everyone,they make us all look bad in the eyes of those that already dont like hunting or havnt formed an opinion yet.Lopes are goofy,I have seen them walk right up to another lope just killed and inspect it,if its an area they frequent they will most likely be back within a couple days.If the wardens didnt remove the carcass's pull them into a ravine or gully,somewhere out of sight.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

Sorry to hear about this. I sure hope they catch them though. In my experience, the Idaho Fish and Game Department is one of the best. If they can get the ball rolling on this they may be able to at least bring someone to justice. I know it does not help your hunt out at all but at least you can take solice in knowing that someone will "hang" for it.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Every issue of the western hunting handout always has lots of story's in the back about Idaho nailing another poacher,seems they really do a good job of following up on peoples reports.