Wyoming Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming Antelope

Post by fishcarver » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 am

September is not coming fast enough.
I have a question is for any of you that have had any experience hunting antelope unit 93. What should my expectations be? I'm really just looking for a fun hunt. But I don't want to shoot the first good buck knowing there are bigger out there. I have some family in Kemmerer that I will be visiting soon to do some scouting around.Should I concentrate my efforts in a certain area more than another? I guess I have a lot of questions but any information out there that might help me out would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Hiker

Re: Wyoming Antelope

Post by Hiker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:00 pm

I saw quite a few on County Rd 233, East of Hams Fork. Looked to be some shooters in there.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 pm

+1

Fished the Hams a week ago... saw more antelope than fish.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 am

14 inches is pretty common in that area. 15 inches is about one third as common. There's a sprinkling of 16'ers in there, and I'm certain a "book" buck exists as well. So, it comes down to time and desire. You're just looking for a fun hunt, so set a goal of nothing less than 15 inches if you've got a few days to play with and start looking for antelope that meet the goal. Promise yourself you WILL NOT shoot it from the road. No matter how big he is.

I found one two weeks ago that would be THE ONE that I would go after if I had a buck tag this year. He has average horns as far as size goes, but his right horn is growing out parrallel to the ground. He was in 88 where we have doe tags.
Some of my best antelope were does. In fact, my best antelope hunt I didn't even kill one. My two buddies from Pennsylvania did. In a blowing snow storm. After a 3/4 mile stalk. Through a muddy creek.
Stupidity is expensive

fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fishcarver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for your input. I should have a better idea after this weekend of the areas in the unit. I haven't hunted antelope since I was 16 that was almost 20 years ago. I'm also going with a friend who has never shot any big game in his life. He has been hunting but hasn't had the chance to seal the deal on anything yet. That will all change I'm sure after this hunt. Ill post some pictures after our scouting trip.
How is the hunting pressure the first few days? We are thinking of getting there the first week end and seeing how it goes if nothing we will come back as it calms down a bit.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Remember this: There are no secrets on pulic land.

You'll have company out there. Sept 10th is a Friday. The farther you can get from a "paved" road the lonelier you'll be. There's only one hunter left in the entire country that doesn't own a 4 wheeler and that's me. Get off the road, go over two hills and you'll be away from 90% of the hunters out there. 93 is a huge area and most of it is public land with good access. I'll give you this one tip: All the way up on that north end of the unit is a mountain pass and there is a herd of antelope that spend the summer up there. I don't know that the herd buck up there is any better than any other you might find down below, but not many folks would go "all the way up there" to find antelope.
Stupidity is expensive

fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fishcarver » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 am

I just got back from a great scouting trip to check out the unit and see what some of the Antelope are like. I had a lot of fun. Sometimes scouting is a little easier. There is a lot less pressure when you don't have a gun. We saw a lot of bucks. Three real good ones and one really good one. I took a picture of a few that we saw. I didn't get a pic of the big one though. For me the excitement just builds even greater now.

Group of small Bucks off the side of the road

nice Buck

Good Buck

Good buck

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

You know I was just going to PM you and see how your scouting trip went.
I'm sorry I didn't see your PM earlier on Friday. I did a clean up on my work computer and it logged me out of all my forum sites so I didn't know I had a PM till I turned on the computer at home. Nice looking bucks.
Stupidity is expensive

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

The third pic with the buck is awesome, nice backdrop.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae