Wyoming Antelope Success

Talk anything related to Antelope
fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming Antelope Success

Post by fishcarver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:06 pm

We just got back from our Wyoming antelope hunt. it was a great experience for me and my buddy. I had experienced the Low and the highs of it all. Hopefully I can explain the hunt for all of you to enjoy.
We weren't able to be there the first day that the hunt opened but were there bright and early for the second day.

My friend Scott has never harvested a big game animal. He has been hunting many of times but never had the opportunity to seal the deal. He was so excited that he wanted to shoot the first buck that we saw. i had to hold him back as we seen a lot of smaller bucks. As we were going along we spotted a herd of 30-40 antelope. There was one Buck that looked really good. We were about mile away and above them. We made our plan to stalk in on them. We hiked down a gully and got with in 130 yards of the herd behind a hill. As we crept up to the hill my friend Scott got ready for the shot. The buck was chasing another smaller buck away when he stopped and Scott made a perfect kill shot at 150 yards. We both couldn't have been happier at the way every thing turned out with the stalk and the shot.

His antelope is 14 inches on one side and 13.5 inches on the other. A great first goat.

Now the bar has been set. I knew what I wanted because of the scouting trip I went on a few weeks earlier. We put a lot of miles on the truck and looked at a lot of animals. You get to a point where they all looks the same. We weren't seeing anything with any size to them. We cover most of the area in a day and a half. We finally went over to the other side of the unit to see what it held. We finally see a very good buck. As soon as we stop to see what he is he takes off with the group a 100 miles and hour down away for up. The group does cross the road but the buck turned and headed away from us. We finally catch up with him and got ahead of him. We made the stalk to as close as we dared. I got the distance on him at 330 yards. Boom I shoot high. In a flash he is gone and I'm sick. I blew my chance. All that work for one shot and he is gone. I thought about packing it up and heading home. Luckily we didn't.
We picked my Bro in Law up in town to have and extra set of eyes with us. We headed out again to find Mr. Big. Well it didn't take long to locate another good buck. These antelope were spooky. They didn't wait around for us to get ready so i took a quick shot and missed. They were off and running. We followed them up and over the hills. I really though we were chasing deer or elk in the country that these antelope were in. We finally caught up with them and made a plan for a stalk. We snuck into the trees and the antelope were on the other ridge 350 yards away. I took a solid rest when the buck stepped out of the aspens and shot. the first shot took his shoulder out and the second finished him off. Now the feeling of elation comes over me and to be very thankful for the opportunity to hunt these speedsters of the hills and plains.

The 300 win mag did its job.

When I seen this buck up close I found out how much character he really has. Both horns has multiple little points to them.

Not sure what he will score. Not sure If i really care. He has one horn that is 14.5 inches and the other at 14 inches.
It was really a great hunt. I'm so glad I got to share it with some great people.
Thanks for your words of advice on here. the whole process is what make the experience so great.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Wyoming Antelope Success

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:47 pm

What an awesome hunt. Way to share your experience as a hunter, with a friend and get his first big game animal. :thumb

Thank you for being one of those who become an member of muleymadness to ask a question and then follow up with pics and a story of your hunt. Too often guys come on and ask the questions and then never post or contribute again.

Thanks again for sharing.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:20 pm

awsome! great job on the hunt and great job on the post :thumb
i agree with NOTENOUGH- it is cool when someone comes on to ask for info then reports back. if everyone did this, people would get alot more help.

thanks again, you guys did great! 10sign:

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Nice!!

Great story and pics! =D> I hope to draw next year with my wife and chase some of those great animals around my self.

Congrads to you and your friend :thumb .
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 am

Nicely done! Both the hunt and the story.
I'm seriously itching to get out and go myself, but I have to wait two more weeks for antelope. Hopefully I'll be out this week for Muleys. Today is opening day and I have to work!
Stupidity is expensive

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 am

Great job guys. Some good looking goats too. Looks like you found the shooters alright. :thumb
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Congrats on 2 great bucks! I have yet to go antelope hunting but am looking forward to going after one in the near future!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:03 am

What an awesome hunt. Way to share your experience as a hunter, with a friend and get his first big game animal.

Thank you for being one of those who become an member of muleymadness to ask a question and then follow up with pics and a story of your hunt. Too often guys come on and ask the questions and then never post or contribute again.

Thanks again for sharing.
+1 on that

Nice bucks congrats on the success
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fishcarver » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm a little jealous of those still waiting to head out. For me it is on to Waterfowl and and up land game. This is the best time of year by far.
If your like me i really like to see pictures. So here are a few more of my hunt.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am

A couple of VERY nice Bucks. Congrats on your success and experience. You probably just hooked a first timer. lol
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL