Wyo Antelope Success! Thanks Snakeriver Marksman

Talk anything related to Antelope
Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Wyo Antelope Success! Thanks Snakeriver Marksman

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Success on our Wyoming Antelope hunt!! Was tagged out the first day of hunting by 2:30 in the afternoon. 4 tags filled and we will definatly be back again next year!! Thanks Snakeriver Marksman for your help!! We hit the places you suggested and came up with a full truck of Antelope!! Can't wait till next years hunt!!

DeadI

Re: Wyo Antelope Success! Thanks Snakeriver Marksman

Post by DeadI » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:38 am

Congrats on the success. Lets see some pictures?
Deadi

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 am

I'm glad to have been of help, but you haven't kept up your end of the bargain, where are the pictures and the story?

where did you go etc. Caliber, rifle, lenght of shot.
Stupidity is expensive

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 am

Muley shed Freak,
Before you post anything else about your hunt, shoot me a PM please.
I gotta check something with you.
Stupidity is expensive

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am

Ok.. here is the story of the hunt.

We got to Wyoming late in the afternoon and decided to go take a look around our unit for a while.. the season was open already. We found alot of bucks but no doe's. We had 4 Doe/fawn tags to fill.
The next morning we got up early and started our hunt. We had just turned off the main road when we jumped a group of Antelope.. unfortunatly all bucks. We drove on for another couple of hours seeing lone doe's and more bucks. I was getting tired and just happend to look to my right and saw a huge herd of Antelope Doe's, fawns, and a single buck. We slid the truck to a stop, ran out and started running and gunning.. what a rush that was. We are former Military so we get into the whole sniping mode.. it must have been fun for my friends to watch! We got within 400 yards and we let the led fly. I got so excited that I ended up shooting a fawn in the process, but man, is she going to be tender! Funniest thing though and kindof sad.. the buck that was in the group must have been happy we showed up.. cause he mounted every dead doe that we had shot... talk about a freaky buck! He went to each one, 'did the deed' and left with the rest of the doe's. We sat in shock at what we were witnessing.
I do know one thing, I will be shooting a different bullitt out of my .300 win mag sendero next year and maybe slow them down a bit. My ballistic tips really did some damage on those doe's going around 3100fps. Mind you unlike my latest Bow hunt.. my antelope didnt take off and run away like my deer did. But thats another story...
It was so hot that we immidiatly had to skin out the antelope and get them in a cool place. So no field pics. But we do have some pics of the 4 of them in the back of the truck. Needless to say we will be back next year and hope to have more fun and success that we did this year!
Attachments
antelope 0006.jpg

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:28 pm

It's awfully hard to argue with dead antelope in the back of the truck, but a 300 win mag does seem to be a bit much for antelope. My wife and I typically use a pair of 250 savages for antelope. I typically try and keep my shots at 300yds or less. Not because the round doesn't carry the energy to get the job done further than that, but because I don't feel comfortable with myself considering wind and other variables. That's just me and should not be interpreted as anything against you guys. If you're going to stick with the 300 winmag, I'd use a 150/165 grain ballistic tip and load it down to about 2700 fps. Basically moderate 308 loads.
Stupidity is expensive

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks. We practice alot and are outfitted with great rifles and scopes that can do the job in the wind and distance. I don't own anything smaller than a .300 win mag, so its all we use. I was using the 165 grain B.T. but they are cranking out at 3100 fps. I guess I should slow them down a bit on those little critters. We load them hot for deer and elk. These are my first antelope, but not from a lack of putting in for tags. This was our first out of state hunt. I've been putting in for tags for 10 years on antelope and got sick of never drawing so we decided to head to the Antelope Capital of the world.. Wyoming. :)
We had so much fun, we can't wait till next year!! 10sign:

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Looks and sounds like you had a great time! A friend of mine hunts antelope in wyoming every year! Hes just as excited about it as you are. Im thinking i might have to give it a shot! Congrats on a great hunt!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals