Quick question on antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
PLP
Spike
Spike

Quick question on antelope

Post by PLP » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm

How rough of an area will they roam?The area I have permission to hunt is low altitude,but it has alot of ups and downs,and drains..it is primarily open,but there are trees in some of the drains.Basically it is not flat,or gently rolling like you would imagine antelope roam..The terrains is primarily mule deer habitat,but the area has good antelope success rates...Im just wondering if the success is primarily from the open areas,or if antelope may inhabit rougher terrain...THANKS!
Last edited by PLP on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: Quick question on antelope

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 am

Antelope do live in rougher terrain. Their primary survival mechanism is eyesight and speed, but so long as they can see a little ways and run like burn, they'll inhabit the terrain. I've seen them up at 8000' in relatively narrow sagebrush valleys. It sounds like you'll find goats just fine.
Stupidity is expensive

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Re: Quick question on antelope

Post by spoofman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 am

speed goats will be found in the rougher terrain, my wife killed a nice buck in the foothills above some flats. we had to choose between two nice bucks that were up in there away from the rest of the smaller bucks and groups on the flats. it seems they headed up in the hills to bed down where we hunted. Although it does limit visibility unless you see them coming off the flats