Heading to WY for my first antelope hunt!

Talk anything related to Antelope
Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Heading to WY for my first antelope hunt!

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Wyoming unit 29 buck tag is in the bag! This is gonna be the first (of many) trip I take out west to hunt and first time with antelope wish me luck. I've researched the area for about the last year but any extra info is always welcome. Congrats to everyone else who drew!
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Re: Heading to WY for my first antelope hunt!

Post by Tyewire » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Congads and good luck!! We didn't get ours, hopefully next year. Take good photos and be sure to post.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:19 am

Nearly all my antelope hunting in Wyoming has been in the south-western units of the state. I wish I could help but I've never hunted 29 or any surrounding units. I'll ask around where I can though and see if I run across anyone with any info. There are tons of antelope in Wyoming though (as I'm sure you've heard) so you'll be able to find some wherever you go.

Congrats and good luck!

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:48 am

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Tyewire. Thanks HH for anything you can come up with for me, I appreciate it. Once I decided I was doing this last year I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching the area but that only goes so far and doesn't compare to eyes on the ground and experience.

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Go to Bill, turn right and keep an eye on your map because it is pretty much a checkerboard of private and public. Lots of goats in the 12 inch range. Seems there are less and less in the 13-14 inch range these days. Noticed they cut the tags by 500 this year. That may help with some of the pressure out there.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 am

Had my first antelope hunt in Wyoming a couple of years ago. I loved it. Only advice I have is take it easy the first time and just find something you like and go after it.

I chased the buck I killed for nearly 5 hours before finally getting it done. In the end I had given up and we were leaving the area and he ran right to us and stopped at 200 yards. Go figure!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Antelope hunting is a blast, bring good optics and be patient, some of the biggest goats I have ever seen were off by themselves.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Congrats and good luck! I'd love to be able to draw an antelope tag one of these years. Keep us posted!

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys. Counting down the days to departure from the east coast. Hopefully I will have a good story to tell when I get back.

Zeekonpoint
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Zeekonpoint » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am

If your around Casper, there is a great dinner called the goose egg. It is run by this sweet old women everyone calls "Nanna". Its a tradition of ours.