First time headed out of state!

Talk anything related to Antelope
firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

First time headed out of state!

Post by firefighterbraun » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 am

Well my wife and I will finally be going out of the state of Utah to hunt. We ended up drawing Unit 31 Limited 1 tags (third choice). We are pretty excited though. Should be a fun little adventure nonetheless. Been looking at maps and searching the internet looking for info and thinking we will end up hunting the Hat Six HMA if we can. But if anybody has any advice they would be willing to share it would be appreciated. Trying to do my homework to make it a fun hunt. Not after monster bucks but would be happy to just see and maybe get on some average sized bucks for that area. Best of luck to all you that drew!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Re: First time headed out of state!

Post by StickFlicker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm

If you want help hunting in another state, it would probably be beneficial if you told people what state you were talking about. I'm assuming that might be Wyoming, but who knows.
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

Because he said Hat Six and unit 31, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Wyoming just outside the south end of Casper. I've hunted the Hat Six in the past.

FireFighterBraun, the better hunting on the HatSix area is off the road by half a mile or more. Get a dead sled or a game cart with solid wheels (cactus). It makes game retrieval so much easier. There is or was some state land further south towards Douglas, but it was hard hunted when I was there last. Goats were pretty spooky. Good luck with your hunt.
Stupidity is expensive

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

StickFlicker, my bad on not stating which state but yes it is Wyoming. Could have sworn I typed it in but guess not! LOL
SnakeRiver, thanks for the heads up on the dead sled or cart, had been thinking I should probably invest in one. And we are no strangers to hiking to get to the game so the further we can get from the road the better in my opinion. Should be a fun hunt and trying to learn how to hunt these animals and a good time with my wife to see what we can get. Do you think we should see quite a few lopes? and roughly what size would be shooter bucks up in that area? 12-13"? Just don't want to pull the trigger too soon if the area could hold better. We are planning on hunting for 3 days up there. Thanks again for the help.

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Well, congrats and good luck.
Romans 13: 1-4

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Best of luck to you. I hope you and the wife have a great and successful time. I am headed that way as well.--SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am

12 to 13 inches is about right. I haven't been over there for several years, but there were plenty of antelope last time I was. The last time I was over there, it was the middle of October, and it snowed for 36 hours. Off road travel was impossible.
Here's one I shot on Hat Six:

My friends antelope from the "snow goat trip"

Other friends doe antelope from the "snow goat trip"

Stupidity is expensive

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Springville Shooter, good luck on your hunt! SnakeRiver, we are planning on heading up Oct.6th so hopefully we don't get 36 hours of snow! But either way I am looking forward to it and will hopefully be able to post some successful pics when we get back! Hopefully we can find a couple decent bucks to stalk on and hopefully bring home with us :)

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:40 pm

You will have a blast! We went to unit 21 which is a little north but still the same general area. The best part will be trapesing all over the countryside trying to find and kill a good buck but then see them standing in people's yards as you head into town to get ice...lol