First Antelope

Talk anything related to Antelope
J_Dub1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by J_Dub1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 am

Alpinebowman,

It is a Utah tag, the unit was the Kaiparowits just west of Lake Powell. Thanks for asking.

J_Dub

treetop
Spike
Spike

Post by treetop » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:48 pm

I agree that's a fun hunt and a nice goat. The real trophy is the smile on the face of that cute daughter of yours.
Enjoy them while they are young, they grow up to be teenagers! And suddenly you are not their hero any more.
Treetop

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 pm

TOO cool!!!! great pic with your daughter, i have a 1 yr old, cant wait to get a pic like that with her!!! :thumb [ oh , and the goat is a bit to be proud of as well,] :thumb :thumb

300 wsm
Spike
Spike

Post by 300 wsm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:12 pm

good job
=D>
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BOUND

f16jack
Fawn
Fawn

Re: First Antelope in Kaiparowits

Post by f16jack » Sun May 11, 2008 8:34 am

J-Dub

My daughter and I were each drawn for an antelope hunt in the Kaiparowits this fall. Any pointers on where to head towards in the area?

Great pictures! Your buck looks a lot like my first buck some years ago. There is nothing more fun than sneaking up on the speed-goats and outwitting them. Talk about eyesight!

Jack

J_Dub1
Fawn
Fawn

Re: First Antelope

Post by J_Dub1 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Jack,

Congratulations on drawing a fun hunt; we had a blast last year. There were a lot of antelope to look at, but they were very weary on account of all the poaching that goes on down in that area. Both the Fish and Game Officer and the BLM Officer I spoke with told me that there is a lot of poaching in the area. Having said that there are still a lot of antelope in the area to look at and hunt. We hunted most of the time between Church Wells and Big Water south of the highway. Most of the hunters we saw were also in this area, and both the F&G and BLM Officers told me that is where most of the antelope are located. I did see some north of the highway around Church Wells, but there is some private land and the land owners don’t like the hunters and are not shy about telling you as much. I stopped to look at the antelope around Church Wells knowing full well they were on private property. Within Five minutes there was an F&G Officer and a BLM Officer responding to a call about someone, me, hunting on private property. It was great to see both the F&G and BLM Officer tell the local guy he was wrong and that I was totally within my rights as a hunter to hunt right next to his house as long as I stayed on BLM land, boy was he mad. Apparently there is some conflict between the BLM and the local ranchers in the area. But like I said most of the hunters including myself stayed well away from Church Wells and Big Water to the south, and ironically that is also where most of the antelope are located. Should be a fun hunt for you and your daughter. With the price of gas where it is I would use Google Earth to look around the area. I will PM you my phone number if you want to call and discuss more exact locations. Have fun and let us know how your hunt goes.

Jeff