Field Care

Talk anything related to Antelope
IdahoMuley
Spike
Spike

Field Care

Post by IdahoMuley » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:57 pm

i have never shot an antelope before and looking into it this year
and was wonder is there any special thing u have to do when dressing them and skinning them. some once told me u have to put them on ice soon as u gut it is that true?? thanks
Muley Man!

mmwb
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mmwb » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:39 pm

IM,

I realize this reply is several months down the road from your post, but hope your still planning on the hunt. There are probably alot of preferences, depending on who you are. With one exception, I've always had mine in the freezer the day they are shot. Usually field dress them, and put a couple of bags in the body cavity. This would work well if your going directly from the field to a processor. The meat is mild and tender and has been fed to avowed antelope haters who thought antelope is good only for jerky or sausage. They think they're eating deer, until I tell them otherwise. One year my kids and I got three that we couldn't--do to location--get butchered that day. Skinned and quartered them and packed them in coolers with ice. They were in the freezer at the end of the next day. Great meat. I'm not saying that you won't have good meat if you don't ice them down, but we've had great meat with our approach.

Don't forget the care before the shot. Don't chase them around the country before putting one down. Running increases the body heat substantially and I'm sure an expercise physiologist could explain all sorts of chemistry going on as well. Besides, the funnest antelope are the ones we spot, stalk, and they've no idea anything is up until the bullet connects.

me2hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by me2hunter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Hello Idahomuley,
I am not disputing anything mmwb wrote. I am just telling you that I have hunted antelope since I could remember and I absolutely love antelope. I will tell you that I skin them as soon as I shoot them and wash them out, I take alot of water with me. But I have never packed Ice in them or had them in the freezer the day I shot them either. Not saying that is not a good thing, I am just saying I have never done it. I have had people over who have never eaten or say they never will eat wild game, and when they eat what I have processed, after the second helping I let them know what they are eating. I do all my processing my self right down to the grinding. I honestly think that makes a difference also. Whatever you do skin them as soon as possible, wash them out entirely and enjoy.
Nothing like guttin' a 6x6 elk in the morning of opening day.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:52 pm

cooling any carass immediatley is always going to be better than not
THE LORD IS MY ROCK