Booner Goat

Talk anything related to Antelope
Cowgirl In CO
Spike
Spike

Re: Booner Goat

Post by Cowgirl In CO » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:12 pm

That is one beautiful buck! My dad was just sharing with me how important the thickness of the horn is as you get four different measurements for the book. In the past, I always thought the goal was a 16" buck to have a true trophy that might make the book but now, I'm going to look for those thick bases. :thumb
<><><><><>Learning how to be a 30.06 Wacker and Stacker<><><><><>

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Your dad is correct. There is nothing more important than mass on a pronghorn. There are 12 total measurements, and mass makes up all or part of 10 of them. There are 8 circumference measurements which are all mass, and the two prong measurements are measured from the back edge of the horn, so a large mass at that point will make the prongs longer as well. The only measurements that don't really involve mass are the length, which only counts twice (once on each horn).

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

Cowgirl In CO
Spike
Spike

Post by Cowgirl In CO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Wow! That is really neat. Thanks for explaining that! It is very helpful to learn all this before heading out in the field. :)
<><><><><>Learning how to be a 30.06 Wacker and Stacker<><><><><>

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 am

Yipes! That is a super Pronger. Congrats on a super goat and good shooting to boot. I'm not going to make it. I have to get on an Antelope hunt soon. You guys are killing me.