Taxidermy Options

Talk anything related to Antelope
speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Taxidermy Options

Post by speedgoat » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:59 am

Ok, so I know I am being an optimist but taxidermy is already on my mind for October...

If I get the shoulder mount I would like it but... I could also do a european (all of my other mounts in the house (deer/elk) are euro mounts). I am having a hard time deciding between doing a euro mount of the goat and getting the hide tanned as opposed to just getting a shoulder mount done.

Does anyone have pics of hides they have done of goats? I saw on another blog someone said something about goats being harder to euro mount because of their smelly bases? What are you talking about?

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: Taxidermy Options

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 am

Antelope hair is very brittle, so getting a hide done might not be such a good idea. I don't know anything about smelly bases, I've seen plenty of euro mounted antelope and never noticed anything.
Stupidity is expensive

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:51 am

antelope euros are the best! makes em look huge

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am

my first goat was only 11"s
but the euro makes it look respectable.
and antelope skulls look so much cooler than anything else!

dont tan the hide, you'll get hair all over your house

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:15 am

thanks for the tips. I may go with just the euro mount then and save the $450 unless it is a bruiser. I do not know if any of you read the van dyke's catalogue but they have EVERYTHING you would want!

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Yup, I spend lots there
and I aint even a taxi anymore

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Dont' waste your time or money on getting an antelope hide done.

I had a hide done and at first it was fine but after 4 moves and 8 years the hide is not doing so well very brittle hair does not hold up well.

As far as Euro mounts my friend has done 4 of these for me and I hvae never had any problems the only way they would be rotten(stinky) is if they were not done correctly.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

jims
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jims » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm

I have a number of european antelope mounts on my wall and they are impressive! Once you get it clean up (boiled and paraxodide) I would suggest putting bondo between the horns and the skull. This way bugs won't get inside between the horn and skull. You also may want to get rid of all the nasel tissue because that is another area bugs tend to congregate...also it sometimes smells somewhat. There is nothing worse than bugs starting on skulls and going to your other expensive head mounts!

There are nice walnut or oak 2-piece plaques available for hanging skulls on the wall (or on a table) and the dark wood is a good contrast against the white skull. They aren't too terribly hard to build if you have a few tools and a rotor for the edges.

If you plan on doing a head mount you may want to find a wall pedestal. They make gorgeous mounts and look a lot more lifelike with the additional shoulder.

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:25 am

jims,

can you post pics of your mounts?

jims
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jims » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm