best area for Antelope hunt in wyoming

Talk anything related to Antelope
skull
Fawn
Fawn

best area for Antelope hunt in wyoming

Post by skull » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 pm

I am almost ready to apply for 2010. I'm sure this question has been asked before here
which area is the best in Wyoming?
I heard that Sundance one of the best places. This is true?
Thanks

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: best area for Antelope hunt in wyoming

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 am

There are big antelope all over the state, we killed 3 bucks over 81 inches (2 made the books) in a left over unit in only 2 yrs.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

gotlost
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gotlost » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Sundance area would not be at the top of my list due to limited access, there are good antelope all over the state.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

I don't have my maps handy but I'd look at the units in the foot hills of the wind river range. Both the east and west sides. Then I'd pick two units that offered reasonable access. Those would be my #1 and #2 choices. Choice #3 would be a unit like 26 that has good access and 100% draw success rate. You will then be next to guaranteed a tag, in a unit with easy access, and you will accumulate preference points towards a hard to draw limited entry unit. After a couple of years of applying in this manner and gaining experience hunting antelope, when you do draw the hard to get tag where the true monsters hang out, you'll know what you are looking at and how best to go after them.
Stupidity is expensive

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Snake River Marksman wrote:I don't have my maps handy but I'd look at the units in the foot hills of the wind river range. Both the east and west sides. Then I'd pick two units that offered reasonable access. Those would be my #1 and #2 choices. Choice #3 would be a unit like 26 that has good access and 100% draw success rate. You will then be next to guaranteed a tag, in a unit with easy access, and you will accumulate preference points towards a hard to draw limited entry unit. After a couple of years of applying in this manner and gaining experience hunting antelope, when you do draw the hard to get tag where the true monsters hang out, you'll know what you are looking at and how best to go after them.
Thanks for your post SRM. I didn't pose the original question but your answer to it was great advice. That's the kind of post that makes Muley Madness an awesome site. It's always great when those with experience share a little. thanks again.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:23 pm

That's what I'm here for notenuftags, that's what I'm here for.<grin>
Stupidity is expensive

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 am

I have a friend that lives near Big Piney.. I am not from Wyoming and am in the same boat as Notenoughtags. I was trying to understand the regs.. but looking at them for the first time, they were a tad confusing. Any idea on how that area around Big Piney works on draw or OTC tags for Antelope? Odds? Any info would be more than what I have now.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 am

ALL antelope tags in Wyoming are on a draw system there are of course left overs in some units. Odds and statistics can be found on the Wyoming game and fish website.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I usually hunt area 88 or 89 which is just north of Big Piney. Non residents have about a 3% chance of drawing a buck tag in those areas. Residents have a 50 to 60% chance of Drawing. In 4 years I have never failed to draw a tag and have never failed to get an antelope. There are usually leftover doe fawn tags available for those areas for a week or so after the initial draw and they can be bought over the internet or over the counter. When you put in for the draw, apply for the doe fawn tags anyway. That's a very good way to learn the area, the herd, and what works and what doesn't. Area 90 is just as good, and is almost completely BLM land.
Stupidity is expensive

skull
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skull » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Many thanks for help guys :thumb