best area for Antelope hunt in wyoming

Talk anything related to Antelope
Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Re: best area for Antelope hunt in wyoming

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 pm

Are the Doe/fawn tags the same price as the buck tags at around $286? I think I saw where the Doe/fawn reduced $48.00. Is that just for the leftover or are all doe/fawn tags $48.00?
I am begining to really like how Idaho's regs are laid out. Wyomings are confusing for a first timer.
I think we are aiming for unit 90 due to all the BLM land. I think we are also going to try for the doe/fawn tag first and get to know the area then apply for bucks the next year.

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm

You are correct the doe/fawn tags are $48 during the regular draws....The leftover doe/fawn tags are actually $34 because you don't have to pay the $14 application fee.....The leftover tags are now first come first serve with no drawing for them....
Good Luck on your draw,
Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 am

Just be sure to apply for the buck tag as well to get preference points, or buy the preference point in July. You'll need those points later on.
Stupidity is expensive

MO BUCKS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MO BUCKS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:29 pm

hey SRM I was checking the WY website and on there list of units 26 had a * by it meaning it was limited access. I was wondering how much public ground is in this unit and is it accessible. I am from MO and thinking about trying an antelope hunt in the next couple of years. I am not necassarily after a booner just a nice representative animal to put on the wall. What I would like to know is the units that are fairly easy to draw that would have plenty of oppurtunities for a public land antelope. Another question is does trying to draw a party tag hurt your odds ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 pm

When I hunted that area two years ago with friends from PA, we used the Delorme atlas and cruised the roads from one BLM holding to the next looking for antelope from the HWY. Typically, we'd have gotten off onto the two tracks but it was snowing it's butt off that weekend and once those two tracks get wet they are all but impassable. I'd go to the BLM website, order maps of that area and see if the amount of BLM land meets your needs. I would imagine that it does. (The BLM maps are WAY better than the Delorme).

OH CRAP!!!! I keep typing 26 when I mean 25! IT'S AREA 25. Sorry guys. 26 has quite a bit of Thunder basin National Grassland in it but it is patchy and could be hard to access.
Stupidity is expensive

MO BUCKS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MO BUCKS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:17 pm

thanks SRM. I go to the blm website and click Wyoming on the map then click on GIS then maps then 2009 hunt areas then antelope. This is a map showing all the public ground and the zones for antelope.

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Here is a link that will give options to download the converse county road maps and other county related maps including hunting areas....You will not on the converse county road map that there is very little public land with access in A26......Just another thought
Good luck in the draw,
Randy

http://www.conversecounty.org/gov_admin ... brary.html
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I know im late on this but the NorthEastern end of the state is underrated, but the seasons are a little shorter up there. Also i know of a few land owners who want to get ride of some lopes up there and are glad to have hunters on their land. Goodluck
The Buck Stops Here

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Seems to me you could get one anywhere there is rangeland,and some nice ones here and there,but alot of people prefer to try for the trophy units...For what it's worth...not all big ones get entered into the record books..Some people don't enter them.I'm also looking at the NE section of WY.Being as some of those units offer hundreds of tags there must be plenty of antelope there.ANy advice would be appreciated on units 7 or 23 via pm if anyone wouldn't mind..Thanks!

Rosco
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rosco » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:51 am

TheGreatwhitehunter wrote:There are big antelope all over the state, we killed 3 bucks over 81 inches (2 made the books) in a left over unit in only 2 yrs.
New here but... did you happen to enter those bucks? are the pic's on here? I'd love to see them.