Shooter can still shoot

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Shooter can still shoot

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 am

Honestly I only have had experience with three shilen barrels; one on a 338win that shot very marginal, one on a 280ackley that shot vey well and this one that shoots exceptionally well. I have a friend that swears by the shilen barrels for the Savage as he has had great luck with them in smaller/benchrest calibers. He has a 223ackley and a 308 set up the same way that both shoot very well. He consistantly places in the light gun 600yrd with the 223 and at 1000 with the 308. I have had good luck with barrels from shilen, douglas, Pac-Nor, Kreiger, and hart. The only lIlja I've ever had fouled bad, but I know guys that have had good luck with them as well. Never had a hart, but might try one someday.------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 am

Shooter Hiawatha is an old mine/mining town that is very close to the North SPrings shooting range.
I beleive you were at the right range. It was built recently and has the archery range, pistol range, cowboy action range, rifle range, ect. It is an awesome range IMO.
I have a custom built 308 with a Shilen barrel on it. I have had great results with it. It is the only Shilen I have has experience with though.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:44 pm

i was considering one for a 338 lapua build,nobody I know has any experience with one.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:08 pm

338 lapua is a great long range power gun. I shot one in a blaser and it was incredible. I considered it when I built my 338 ultra and picked the ultra because performance was nearly identical and RUM components are cheaper and easier. I also like the sharper shoulders on the Ultra mag case. Either of these cartridges will launch a bullet with a .600+ co-efficient at 3100+ FPS and thats an awesome combination. I had my scope made to shoot out to 1600yds and it will do it. At 800 yds I knock my steel plate out of the stands sometimes. The only drawback is that for me the recoil without a brake is too much to shoot accurately and the brakes are loud. But then again when you can shoot that far you have plenty of time to insert some earplugs if you want.-------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen