Bi-pods?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Bi-pods?

Post by wingmaster36 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Well,

I bought me a cheapy Winchester bi-pod from Wally world last week and was wondering what kind if any you guy's use? I have never use one before and thought I would try it out. It seems sturdy enough looking out across the pasture and I have been able to keep a steady hold on cows out to 600 yds or so. I can't wait to try it out maybe next week on gallon milk jugs.

Wyatt
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Re: Bi-pods?

Post by NONYA » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Harris tilt pod

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:01 pm

NONYA wrote:Harris tilt pod
+1 BUT------ alot of times i truley wonder if i'm packing dead weight. i've used it on kill shots, the most recent my wyoming bull 2 yrs ago, but i'm not so sure that any of the times i've used it , i couldn't have just laid down on my pack :-k

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 pm

+2 on the harris tilt pod. I have had a few shots that I have taken with the bipod from the sitting position when there were obstacles in the way from the prone. I do have mixed emotions though as for me the bipod really screws me up on quick offhand shots. I guess what I really like the bipod for is setting down the rifle safely while glassing.------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 am

Springville Shooter wrote:+2 on the harris tilt pod. I have had a few shots that I have taken with the bipod from the sitting position when there were obstacles in the way from the prone. I do have mixed emotions though as for me the bipod really screws me up on quick offhand shots. I guess what I really like the bipod for is setting down the rifle safely while glassing.------shooter
I almost got a harris myself. Until I tried out a friends rifle with one on it. Too heavy for my taste. And if an offhand shot is required I wouldn't have the confidence with how much forward weight is added. I was injured in Iraq and have had a few surgeries on my left shoulder so the weakend muscles + weight = bad for me.
Last edited by crunch14 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 am

+1 on the harris. If you are going to use one that is the one you need. I have one but just like Killer and Shooter I have wondered if it was just dead weight. I ended up just taking mine off of my 300 WSM and putting it on my 22-250 for varmint hunting. Just my personal preferance but I would rather loose the weight and keep my rifle blanced better for big game than Varmints. Plus any less weight to pack out after killing a big muley or elk helps.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

My long range rigs are already heavy enough the pod weight doesnt factor,99% of the shots I take are taken prone or sitting,nothing is more solid/accurate than a prone shot off a pod.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 pm

I like my harris bipod and i'll give it a +1.

As for the dead weight there was one year I didn't have time to set up for a shot I took at a three point. The buck was walking into some timber. With only seconds of opportunity for a shot, I ended up taking him from a standing position with one bipod leg fully extended and the other still sprung in the upright position. Glad none of my hunting partners were nearby to see it and give me a ribbing lol
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."