Eye dominance problem?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
crunch14
2 point
2 point

Eye dominance problem?

Post by crunch14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:09 am

This sucks! I took my .357 4" GP-100 to the range today and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. My BEST group at 15 yards was 6inches, when in the past I'm in the 2" range (50 rounds fired). On my last cylinder I realized I was using my left eye to aim, well I've never done that before.

I did a little test in the parking lot... Looking through both eyes I held up my thumb so it covered a streetlamp across the street. When I closed my right eye (left eye open) the lamp was still covered, right eye open (left closed) I could see the lamp.

1) Am I correct in assuming I developed an eye dominance problem?
2) How did I develope the problem and how do I fix it?
3)If I can't get over this will it affect accuracy with a scope or shotgun, obviously it does with open sights?

I do wear glasses for astigmatism and have a current prescription, also am a right handed shooter.

Thanks,
Kevin
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Eye dominance problem?

Post by m gardner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:25 am

To determine eye dominance I usually have shooters hold out both hands and make a triangle they can see through with their thumbs at the bottom. Move your hands back yo your face and see which eye the hole ends up at and that's your dominant eye. I've got an astigmatism too and it causes me trouble if I'm tired because things go double at times. Like the sights. I've just had to learn what the blurry sights look like when I get a good shot off. I do pretty good using that approach.
Mark

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 am

OK so I tried the triangle thing about 15 feet from the kitchen cupboards. I put one of the handles in the center of the little spot and it's the left eye. I also tried it keeping my arms out without moving my head or hands. Left eye was dead on, and my right eye was focused on a spot about 3 feet to the left of point of aim.

I've been shooting shotguns, handguns, and scoped/open-sight rifles since I was about 7 years old, including military service. Always with both eyes open no matter the weapon. It's just really weird.

For gits and shiggles I got out my old pellet gun (open sights) and put it to both shoulders with both eyes open. Saw the sights just fine on the left shoulder/eye and double vision with the right shoulder/eye. Yes I could barely shoulder it on the left side, lol definitely akward.

I know that this isn't the end of the world but being a person that hunts about 6 months out of the year for elk, deer, birds, well everything I can, it's REALLY aggrivating.

All the articles I've been able to find about this involve training young/new shooters, nothing about experienced shooters. They all say to teach people to shoot from the dominant eye side. Being as I've been shooting for about 23 years I'm not sure if I can afford the ammo to learn to shoot lefty. Can't afford to get new guns either.
Last edited by crunch14 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 am

Oh yeah not sure if it matters but the last time I went shooting was at the end of November. I didn't have that problem then.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 am

I would say that the Shotgun and bare bow archery would be the only thing that would really be affected. You may have to learn to close the left eye to shoot open sights though.

That kind of sucks, something must have caused the right eye to weaken a little bit. (???)

Good luck.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm right eye dominant but have had some pretty bad injuries and have had to shoot lefthanded sometimes. With a pistol it isn't a problem the right eye takes over. I have to shut my right eye when shooting lefty with rifle and shotgun. If I was competing a piece of tape on my glasses over my dominant eye took care of it. It's hard to hunt with one eye blurry so I'd leave the tape off and squint. Shooting a bow is the same. Just shut one eye if it has sights.
Mark
Last edited by m gardner on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Ok I feel a bit better, thanks for the tips.

*edit* This is kinda creepy.... I got a postcard from my optometrist in the mail reminding me that I'm due for my annual exam. Talk about timing, I for one think he secretly did something to me so I would be more motivated to come in. We'll see what he says next week.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 am

Yeah your eyes can do weird things to you. I was having headaches and nausea and dizziness for a few months before my eye exam a few years back and during my appointment found out one eye had gone farsighted and the other nearsighted. My new prescription cured it. Good luck with the doc.
Mark

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 am

GET YOUR BUTT TO THE EYE DOCTOR!!!

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm

I AM ON THE 11TH HE'S OUT OF TOWN THIS WEEK! LOL