Model 70 Help

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Model 70 Help

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 am

I was given a Winchester Model 70 22-250 by my father in law last year while home on for the hunts. He said he had shot it a lot and the barrel was about shot out. Well I brought it out to shoot it the other day just to see what would happen. It sure won't hold a group with Federal 55 gr. Bullets so I think I will try somthing different. Anyways when I got back to the house I was going to clean it and tried to remove the bolt and it would not come out. It feels like the Bolt stop will not compress all the way. I tried about everything I could think of to compress the thing without damaging it.
So has anyone else ever experienced this and if so got any tips? Thanks...
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: Model 70 Help

Post by M.Bird » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 am

Has anyone worked on the rifle? Bedding job? Pull the stock off and try to remove the bolt. When some people perform bedding jobs they do not realize that some room must be left in places for other things to work.
For you accuracy, what is the twist on the barrel? Slow twist heavy bullet fast twist light bullets
You are right to look at other brands, each barrel will digest the pill different
Hope that works for you

M. Bird

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I would take it out of the stock like Bird said. I would also use copper solvent on it until I stopped getting green and try shooting it again. Check the rifling to see if it's damaged at the crown and recrown if necessary. I bought rifle a few years back and discovered it had pitting near the muzzle and wouldn't shoot worth a darn. Cutting it to 19 inches and recrowning it solved the problem and it was a 1/2 MOA rifle after that. Good luck.
Mark

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks for the help gents. I took the stock off and bingo it had ben bedded so I go the dremel out and cleaned it up. That did the trick. Once I finished up with that I cleaned it really good. I couldn't beleive how dirty it was once I could look through the barrel. So hopefully it'll shoot a group now. Thanks again.....
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm

tell us more about your rifle....

new?
old?
featherweight?
varmint?
classic sporter?

I've owned 7 M70's.... never a 22-250 however

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:46 am

Chet it is about 20 years old classic sporter. I finally was able to get back out to the range after I got it cleaned out and it is shooting great! So thanks for the help that everyone offered.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:28 am

m. bird,

It's the other way around: Fast twist barrels stabilize heavier bullets better and slow twist barrels stabilize lighter bullets better.