Your Favorite .223 load for the AR-15

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
TheGreatwhitehunter

Your Favorite .223 load for the AR-15

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat May 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I recently bought a Bushmaster Varminter 24 inch SS AR-15 tactical and was curious if anyone was willing to share their favorite loads or general experiences with the AR-15 and accuracy tips.

I will be reloading for it proabally 99% of the time.

I will be trying out some Hornady 50 GR V-Max and the Barnes 50Grn Varmint Grenade

Will be using it on Coyotes and P.Dogs at various ranges
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Your Favorite .223 load for the AR-15

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Just my experience, but as an avid handloader,I have to say that I quit reloading for my AR's for a couple of reasons. First, I found that I wasn't able to improve accuracy much on very reasonable factory ammo, and second, even with the small-base dies made for AR's, I still had feeding problems once in a while. My advise is to figure out what you think is a reasonable price to pay for AR ammo, then pick which brand in this price range shoots best in your gun. I've found that HSM ammo works best in my VTR as well as my wifes DPMS for about $325.00 per thousand rounds. These are actually 5.56 rounds loaded with 55gr pointed soft points. I promise that this will be the only time that I ever recommend factory loads over handloads,(Except for handgun defense rounds).--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

southwind
Monster
Monster

Re: Your Favorite .223 load for the AR-15

Post by southwind » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 am

Is it a varmint configuration? Do you know the barrel twist? My two favorite powders have been Reloader 15 and Varget but most of my loading have bee 69-90 grain bullets in 6.5 inch- 7.5 inch twist barrels. Generally I will be in the 23-25 grain range with these. I am using normally Sierra match kings or Nosler match bullets which are really great on coyotes. They are a somewhat thin jacketed hollowpoint boattail and pop real well. My fav load for 77 grains is 24.5 grains re15 through a 7.5 twist barrel. this loading is real accurate out to 600 yards. comes in 2800 fps range. wylde chamber.

For the 55 and under I would lean toward the varget I have done some loading for a varmint ar (1n12)config with up to 27 grains for varget.

Wish I could help more on lighter stuff but most of loading is for HP cross course where I need heavier bullets.

**start 10% lower and work up**