ballistic coefficientcy of a Barnes TSX

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
killerbee

ballistic coefficientcy of a Barnes TSX

Post by killerbee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:01 pm

i dont know where i can find it?
it's a 30. caliber 168 barns TSX. can i find it online somewhere? anyone have a barnes reloading manual that might say?

also- we loaded 64 gr. of H380 for my buddies 300 short mag. it chronographed 10 times between 3,030 FPS and 3,040 FPS. seems to be pretty accurate, we were not on a perfect rest and still getting 1"groups at 100yrds. but should we try to increase at all to gain more speed? i'm thinking we should stop right here, but what are some other opinions?
Last edited by killerbee on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: ballistic coefficientcy of a Barnes TSX

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm

The published BC is .398. If you are going to use this to calculate for holdover, I have found that Barnes coefficients seem to run a little higher than they prove to be at the range, in other words they always shoot a little lower than expected for the given velocities. As far as your load, that is a good velocity for hunting and would perform great on game. That being said, it would not hurt to step it up if pressure allows and you want to see if you can maintain your accuracy while gaining some more speed.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:15 pm

SS-after posting this i started just "googleing" it, on the barnes site, i came up with (i think , AND COULD BE WRONG) .470 so 2 questions for you, is that a big difference, and could i be looking at the worng page? they are the 168gr, blue tipped TSX bullets.

and so do you want a lower number or a higher number? he's getting a turret built for his gun, and i've never really read about ballistic Co.

thanks again :thumb

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 pm

After some more looking there are a couple of possibilities of what your friend is shooting. There is a 168 tipped tsx with a BC of .470, and a 165 MRX tipped with a BC of .439. The higher the number the better with BC. I would strongly advise that your friend run the calculations and then PROVE them at the range before ordering the turret. I have had some problems with published data, especially Barnes. I think that most companies tend to "pad" the numbers a little bit to make their bullets look more desirable. There are also multiple ways of calculating and defining BC..........so, always prove data in on the range before ordering any bullet drop compensating equipment and avoid having a dial that shoots a foot low at 500yds.--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:After some more looking there are a couple of possibilities of what your friend is shooting. There is a 168 tipped tsx with a BC of .470, and a 165 MRX tipped with a BC of .439. The higher the number the better with BC. I would strongly advise that your friend run the calculations and then PROVE them at the range before ordering the turret. I have had some problems with published data, especially Barnes. I think that most companies tend to "pad" the numbers a little bit to make their bullets look more desirable. There are also multiple ways of calculating and defining BC..........so, always prove data in on the range before ordering any bullet drop compensating equipment and avoid having a dial that shoots a foot low at 500yds.--------SS
great info SS, i appriciate it. we will be hitting the range this week. :thumb