reloading ?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
killerbee

reloading ?

Post by killerbee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

i'm loading bullets for my 300 wby and have a quik ?

setting my sizing die- i set my first 5 cases to deep. the shoulder is to flat compared to a factory load.

so my question is-- ( and i think i can) can i load these cases with a bullet, maybe drop the gr. of powder by 10, and shoot them through my gun to get them to "fire form" back to the regular shape? they chamber just fine, not tight at all, and they hold the bullet tight. what do you think?

a_bow_nut

Re: reloading ?

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:28 pm

As long as they chamber up fine and you stay with in the recomended powder charges they should fire ok. Just take a real close look for any cracks in the brassthat might show up after they have been fired.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 am

I agree that you can fire-form these cases back to size. Remember when sizing cases that will only be shot in the rifle that they were already fired in that less sizing is fine. You basically only need to size the neck and enough of the case to achieve easy feeding.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:23 am

Springville Shooter wrote:I agree that you can fire-form these cases back to size. Remember when sizing cases that will only be shot in the rifle that they were already fired in that less sizing is fine. You basically only need to size the neck and enough of the case to achieve easy feeding.-----SS
i was reading that last night-
so i've always just set up my sizing die , with the press up , the die screwed down tight to the shell holder, then add 1/4 turn.

so - they have no chance of being shot in any other gun, how would i set it up just to size the neck? thanks KB

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:08 am

With the press down, screw the die in until it contacts the shellholder and then back the die off a quarter turn or so leaving a gap between the die and shellholder. Size a case and inspect the neck to make sure that you are sizing the neck all the way down to the shoulder. You can back the die off until you can see that you are only partially sizing the neck, then adjust down to achieve the perfect sizing depth. If you plan on neck sizing from now on, you could look into a neck sizing die as well. I use both methods on different rifles and have good results both ways. I believe that neck sizing helps case life as there is less stretching of the body of the case.--------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am

Springville Shooter wrote: I use both methods on different rifles and have good results both ways. I believe that neck sizing helps case life as there is less stretching of the body of the case.--------------SS
+1
I have noticed much greater case life with my 300 WSM since neck sizing only.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:17 pm

You may find that you need to size the body as well after 3 or 4 firings, as the body continually grows.

Also you may experience some case head swelling that your die cannot cure. This is common in all belted magnums. this website explains it well: http://www.larrywillis.com/ look at the section below the fancy guage "belted magnum collet resizing die"

I will be purchasing this die soon, so dont scrap your brass when this happens. ship em too me and I'll handle it for ya :thumb