A WHOLE BUNCH OF RELOADING QUESTIONS

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: A WHOLE BUNCH OF RELOADING QUESTIONS

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 pm

killerbee wrote:about the shoulders getting pressed to flat- i still dont know why, but after about 25-30 rnds, with 2-3 of those "issues", it never happened again? i never changed a thing, the die didn't move, i have no reason whatsoever in my head on why the 3 random bullets pressed diferently?

SS- no worries, just when you get a chance, dont take time from life to worry about it. no problem AT ALL!! :thumb

I have seen this before especially on cases that have been fired a few times. I might not be anything you are doing different as cases weaken differenty based on original case perameters and how the brass has flowed and been trimmed during firing and reloading. I still have this happen to me once in a while when loading Weatherby cases. There are things that you can do to help, but in my experience, you will eventually begin to lose a few after 4-5 firings. Sorry man, hot rods are expensive to run! :thumb .... but well worth it.-----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Well, I don't know if I'll be of much help, but I'll throw in my experiences. For starters, I always fully resize my cases, so I can't really help you out on the neck sizing problem.

As for your digital scale being off, I've had different experiences with that. I bought the RCBS electric powder dispenser/scale about 3 years ago and it's awesome! It has an automatic trickle dispenser on it too, so I can watch each granule fall in and the scale picks it up almost every time. I don't know if I've ever seen more than 2 granules fall in without the weight going up 1/10th of a grain. I've loaded various charges and then gone back and dumped them back on the scale when I was done and they still measured the same, so I feel confident that my digital scale is consistent. My dad has an older RCBS digital scale though, and if you don't let it sit for a few minutes and "zero" itself, it will sometimes measure inconsistently. I've also had this problem with the scale if I leave it on for an extended period of time (overnight). And I'm sure you're not, but make sure you're not working in a space with lots of wind/air conditioning...that can throw the scale off too.

I don't think you're being too picky either. I make sure every load is measured to the 1/10th of a grain....does it matter? I don't know, but it seems to work so I'll stick with it! :)

For the max loads, I think the pressure is really what you need to be looking at. Some manuals have the pressure ratings and some don't. Mine doesn't, but you can usually look up the info. online. I agree with Sneeke that the max loads are usually to protect the publisher, but at the same time, I don't ever load over them. Heck, just going from manual to manual can be off 2+ grains between max loads. Often times, the max loads don't shoot the best (most accurate) anyway.

Not sure if this helps, but figured I'd try!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:24 am

great info, thanks a bunch guys.

as far as the digital scale- i think i will send it in. it sounds like it should be reading better tahn it is. i am glad that i used the balance scale to confirm everyload. the digital will take sometimes 5 little grains of powder before it will update it's reading and sometimes i will put up a LOWER number (???) i do use a RCBS powder trickler, i do everything i can to not touch the powder or primers with my hands. i dont know, just they way dad always taught me. i've never had an issues with missfires so i believe it must help.

i have a couple more question, after work i want to throw out- hey i'm just a sponge, soaking up the great info, sorry if it's a pain in the butt:) thank - brian

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks guys i'll give it a try :not-worthy

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:02 pm

in reference to your scale and powder measuring:

I agree with SS that your scale is defective- send it in!

tip: When using a digital or manual scale- never remove powder to get to your desired weight, if you go over your desired amount, start over. tricklers are especially handy in this area.

in reference to your flattening shoulders, I have two thoughts:

1) is it possible that the expander ball is too close to the neck portion of the die? if the neck is trying to pass through both peices at the same time it would find resistance and flatten the shoulder. This is not likely on a longer case (as I assume your weatherby is) but can happen on shorter cases like a 308 win.

2) are you lubing the neck? rolling them on a pad can sometimes leave the neck dry. combined with a little grime in the die you'd easily crush a shoulder or two. you could also try chamfering the outside of the neck before sizing just to give it a little easier entry into the neck portion of the die. I reccomend hornady "one shot" lube. place the cases in a loading block and spray them down. the lube enters the inside of the neck, which is necessary to reduce stretch. it dries in less than a minute and acts more like a wax. wonderful stuff!

I have seen many dents on the shoulder from too much lube, but never on the neck. only thing i can think of is maybe the die is chipped inside????? #-o

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:25 pm

wait a minute..... was the shoulder flattening occuring during sizing? or while seating the bullet?

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 am

Only one question about your problems with the scale. Is there a fan running in the room that is blowing on it? The air needs to be still to get good results with most scales. As for the dents in the shoulder the dies should have a relief hole drilled in it to let excess lube out to prevent this.
Mark

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks guys,to much lube was part of the problem plus the little bleeder port was plugged and I didnt even know it was there :not-worthy

shmobag
Spike
Spike

Post by shmobag » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

what ive found on the max load, is that most magnum cartridges shoot better at or above max load. how to tell if your shooting too hot of a load is to look on the bottom of the cartridge after you shoot it and see if there is a "shiny" spot where the ejector punched the cart. out. thats just what ive found though.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 am

Looking for a shiny spot on the case from the extractor is not a reliable way to determine pressure (except that it is excessive or there is a burr on the bolt face and will rub even if it is low) and will cut case life short and may harm your rifle. The old method of marking the case (an index across the head because it is probably out of round slightly) and measuring across the belt or case head with a micrometer and backing your charge off when you notice any expansion is probably the safest method and has been around probably as long as I have.
Mark