christmas bonus.. gun value ??

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
killerbee

christmas bonus.. gun value ??

Post by killerbee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Well it was a great day of work today. Late morning my boss called and told me to meet him at his truck. When i got in he said "heres your christmas bonus". He gave me a Winchester model f 1917 358 norma mag. I was very excited!

I've worked for him for 14+/- yrs and am close with his whole family. There is some history behind the gun. You see, it was his dads gun, that he bought for hunting grizzly bears in Alaska when he was younger. Tragically, his dad passed away a couple months ago by in a friek accedent. He fell of a cliff while working on his tractor. To me, it was an honor to have the gun. It will never be sold.

That said, I called my dad a little later and told him about it. He said it's a very uncommon gun and usually pretty expencive. honestly, i dont care if it's worth $50 or $5000 bucks, it is very cool. but curiosity has gotten the best of me, and i cant find a value of the gun on the internet. i just googled " winchester model f1917 358 norma mag" and got a whole bunch of weather forcast for towns called winchester ](*,)

Does anyone know where i could find out?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: christmas bonus.. gun value ??

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 am

1st off congrats on the bonus cause that is awesome! :thumb

check this site out. you may have to join but you should be able to post your question up in their forum and they will appraise it for you.

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Sounds like you have a custom rifle built on an old 1917 Enfield made by Winchester. I think the f designates the sights originally on it. Depending on the condition it is worth probably $500.00 dollars or more. Put up a picture of it.
Mark

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 pm

this was the reply from the gunvalue site:

The Winchester Model 1917 was chambered in just one cartridge... the 30-06 Springfield.

Winchester began manufacture of the Model 1917 in May of 1917, and delivered the first batch to the U.S. Army in August of 1917. Model 1917 rifles were produced only for the U.S. Goverment, and a total of 545,511 were made and delivered.

Your Model 1917 is a custom built "sporterized" rifle. Many many tens of thousands Model 1917 rifles were sporterized after being sold through the DCM starting in 1922.

The value of your rifle is highly dependent upon the quality of the work that was done to it. Most are worth less than $500.
Attachments
rsz_g_9840_gun_012.jpg
rsz_g_9840_gun_010.jpg

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:09 pm

That's a nice old rifle and in good shape. It was probably done around the time Roy Weatherby was selling his first rifles because it has the wilder monte carlo stock, end cap and grip cap. It's probably 50 years old and in nice shape. That action was one of the most rugged made and a good choice for the caliber. I like it. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Mark