I got in a range day today

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

I got in a range day today

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm trying to work up an exceptional target load for my 308
LC79 MATCH brass
Federal gm210M primers
45gr IMR4064 Powder
Sierra 168gr HPBT Match
Savage mdl11 in a tupperware stock
accutrigger
I think I'm headed in the right direction.
I had a lot of vertical stringing in all of my groups today. I suspect it was bag position.
Stupidity is expensive

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: I got in a range day today

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

SRM,

What was the range of this group? I hve been having similar results with my current project which is a 300 win mag in a Weatherby vanguard with a tupperware stock. I get very tight groups with extreme flyers, especially before the barrel is warmed up. Just got a new stock in the mail and with a good fit and bed job, I hope I have a shooter. I see great potential in your groups and think that you might have a little bedding stock issue like I have. Keep me posted. I plan on doing a write-up as soon as I'm finished with my Vanguard project.------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:10 pm

100 yards.
I'm debating doing a bedding job and adding a piece of rebar to the forend to stiffen it up. I can buy another tupperware stock for $25.00 to get back down to hunting weight. I'd love to get a Bell and Carlson Medalist series but cash is way to tight right now. I had vertical stringing in all of my groups today so I'm thinking my bench technique was seriously flawed. I'm trying to get this thing in shape for a 1/4 mile shoot.
Stupidity is expensive

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 am

Don't know if you've ever heard of Boyds laminate gunstocks, but they are very well priced and function as well as any high dollar synthetic on the market. The downfall is that they weigh a little more. I have them on several of my rifles and they are extremely well- designed and accurize-able. Most stocks can be delivered to your door for around a hundred bucks and with a little barrel channel work and some glass, you have one of the most accurate platforms around in my opinion. I really like the shape and feel of the JRS precision. As far as your bench technique, I doubt by looking at the groups that you have an issue at the bench. The tight cluster and flyers patterning looks much more like an equipment problem. If all the shots were strung over a couple of inches that would be different, but looking at your target, I think that your technique is probably fine and that your barrel is experiencing unwanted pressure from that cheapy stock. Maybe I'm sick in the head, but I kinda like it when I get a stubborn rifle that I get to work on for a while.-------SS

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:47 am

I'm going to give the bedding a good hard look and maybe open up the barrel channel a little more. I'm going to tweak that load a couple of tenths in either direction too.
I have heard of Boyds, and they have a great reputation. I love tinkering with my guns, but I'd love it a whole lot more if money were no object.

Norinco 1911
I COMPLETELY disassembled it, stripped the bluing, and Parkerized the major components then duracoated with desert beige and tactical black.
It caused quite a stir at the range yesterday.
Stupidity is expensive

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 am

Looks like you did a great job!-------SS

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks!
I found loose scope mounts on the rifle. Time to go back to the begining.
Stupidity is expensive

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

That's OK! There are certainly worse things to be working on than a new rifle at the range. Hae fun and keep us posted on how it goes. I hope to have my new stock fitted and testing within a couple of weeks.--------SS

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

shooting through a chrony might help you narrow down what is happening.

In my experience, poor bench habits typically cause left/right flyers too, if not more so. (my "flinch" off of sandbags always makes em go to the right)

Loose mounts typically cause horrizontal strings too.

I've found that seating depth changes can really help calm down the flyers.

Also, try some Varget :thumb

and one more thing, Boyds has an E-bay store where they sell their seconds. I bought one not too long ago for $27!!! It had a small blem in one of the layers, I would never have noticed it if they wouldn't have circled it with a crayon #-o

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm

None of the shooting I did the other day really means much since I discovered the loose scope bases, but Varget didn't show much promise at all. I'll probably retry it just for grins. Boyds doesn't make a stock for center feeds, but they have instructions for modifying their current offerings and it looks like something I could pull off. I'm going to keep an eye on their seconds and see what shows up. Thanks for the tip.
Stupidity is expensive