Tried the range again

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Tried the range again

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 am

I stopped into the range the other afternoon after work.
I figured I'd try and reshoot some of the loads that I had shot on Saturday now that the scope bases were tight ](*,) I was feeling rushed, and I had some caffiene jitters and just an all around flinch going on, so I don't know that I gained any real knowledge. This group is representative of what I was getting. The Low left shot out of the group was a clean bore, called flyer. I knew it was way off the moment the rifle went off.
Stupidity is expensive

StickBoy
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Tried the range again

Post by StickBoy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Good ole load development. I know you didn't ask for any help, but I have to ask if you ever intend on shooting out past 800? Only reason I mention it is that when I first got started I worked up an awesome 168 load in my savage, only to find out later that past 800 I would have some troubles staying super-sonic. That was at sea level which you are not...but I figured I would mention it. The 155's and the 175's to pretty well out to 1k.

Good luck with you upcoming shoot.

-c

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 am

No plans to shoot beyond 800. I"m just playing around at being serious about this 1/4 mile shoot. My problem now is, I believe this rifle has more to give and I want to coax it out of it. And I'm just too bull headed to say "enough" and move on.
Stupidity is expensive

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm

SRM,
This group with the cold shot being the flyer makes me think even more that you have some bedding issues. If you do decide to work on the "tupperware" stock, I have found that drilling some small holes in the bedding area helps to key in the glass as it doesn't adhere to the plastic as well as it does to other more pourous materials like fiberglass or wood. I have had troubles with these types of stocks on Remington, Winchester, Kimber, Savage, and currently my Weatherby Vanguard. Just some ideas, don't mean to sound like a broken record.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm

SS,
I'll accept all of the advice I can get trust me. Keep sending ideas.
These stocks are pillar bedded but not perfect by any stretch. I've been looking at the bedding and it could use a skim bed. However, I just sort of wonder if it will really help. These dang tupperware stocks are so flimsy I just wonder if it's worth fooling with it. I'm looking at a Boyds but I'm trying not to be too serious about this whole target shoot thing, It costs money, and I still have to take this rifle UP the mountain elk hunting. I could put it back in tupperware for hunting but I'd hate knowing it wouldn't be as accurate. If I can find a Boyds factory second, I might just do it anyway. I've got some more rounds loaded up so I'll get back to the range and see where we are.
Thanks
Larry
Stupidity is expensive