Hunting load suggestions?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Hunting load suggestions?

Post by MNbogboy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:57 pm

I recently re-barreled a couple more Savages, this time to .260 Rem....I have been trying a few loads for the Shilen barreled one between snow storms.....Attached is a picture of two groups shot at 100 yards using 123 Lapua Scenars....It appears that it will shoot OK but I need suggestions for a good hunting bullet.....I am using Berger 115 VLDs in one of my 25-06s, the rifles shoots real well with them at all ranges but I have had questionable results with them on two antelope....The bullets seem to have split up or grenaded on rib bones? twice...both times requiring a follow up on a well placed shot to begin with (204 & 340 yds)......Now I know two out of three animals killed with the Bergers is not enough to make a real judgment, but before I buy them for the .260 I would like to hear from you other guys with your experience...I did build a .243 for my 10 year old grandson last year and he killed a nice doe with one shot with a 95 gr VLD that I loaded up for him....

Thanks in advance for the help,
Randy
This ain't your grand daddy's Savage!
This ain't your grand daddy's Savage!
123 Scenars.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Re: Hunting load suggestions?

Post by Snake River Marksman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:35 am

Hornaday A-maxs or Nosler BT or Accubonds would be a good place to start. I use Hornady interlocks in my 250 savage FWIW.
Stupidity is expensive

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks SRM,
I just ordered some 120 A-max and some 130 VLDs (one more go around with the Bergers I guess)
maybe at the slower speeds of the .260 they will act different (when and if I use them they have to shoot good first)....
I also have some 129 Hornady SSTs that I was trying in the Shilen barrel first...but they didn't seem to shoot well no matter what I tried...(it could have been the frozen bags & wind [good excuse]...) However the day I shot the Scenars I did shoot one .48 group with the SSTs....So there might be some promise in them too....I am pretty sure they will be good hunting bullets but only time will tell...
We have a storm on tap for tomorrow so maybe Sunday I can try a few more loads...I have an arrangement loaded up with varying jump and jam for the Scenars....I really want to try the E.R. Shaw barrel some more and see what it might be able to do.....
Later,
Randy

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:59 am

You may want to go to Barnes website and pick out a Tipped Tripleshock to try. They shoot well in all three of my rifles and my rifles are nothing special. The TC Venture 300 win mag is especially fond of them and they hammer big game. Here's a typical 3 shot group witht the 300 with 168 grainer's.
Mark
Attachments
300 Win Mag Target 3.JPG

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 am

Forgot about the SSTs. They should be good as well. Be sure and use the Berger HUNTING bullets, rather than the target type.
Stupidity is expensive

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks m gardner, That is a fine looking group, the TC you have really is a shooter...my youngest son uses 168 gr Barnes bullets in his 30-06 and they really shoot well for him too...I will look into them...

SRM, Yes the Bergers are the hunting type...time will tell how they shoot..

Thanks again guys,
randy

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Got an order from Midway the other day with the 120 A-max & 130 VLD Berger in the box...Windy yesterday so I loaded a couple to try this afternoon...slight drizzle ran coming down but is really helping to melt the snow.....I was very surprised at both bullets for shooting decent with the very first charge and seating arrangement....here are the results also with a couple of groups of the Lapua scenars mixed in....
The A-max and Scenars are loaded .010 off the lands and the Bergers are .005 off the lands so I have more work to do in working up these loads....But it sure is fun when it starts coming together....

I am looking forward to ordering some Barnes bullets sometimes soon and trying them too...

I had tried a couple more loads and seating depths with the Hornady SSTs during the week but the groups were ugly...

Good Shooting,
Randy

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Oops forgot to attach the targets
Attachments
amax.jpg
amax.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
berger.jpg
berger.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 8685 times

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:04 pm

I'd load those Scenars and never look back.
Stupidity is expensive

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Trouble is, from what I've read on various forums that the Scenars are definitely not meant for hunting....A few have used them and had OK luck with them...Obviously if they shoot like that then bullet placement might be a tad easier especially with the confidence the Scenars give you in your rifle.....But on the other hand, I would hate to make a not so perfect kill with one if I scewed up in shot placement...Of course not so good shot placement can happen with "good hunting bullets" too....I am going to see what I can muster up with the Bergers and maybe then the Barnes...Barnes seem a little pricey to practice with but if they shoot for me like they do for others they well may be worth it...
Later,
Randy