Steyr Mannlicher

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
ABert

Steyr Mannlicher

Post by ABert » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I have an opporturnity to purchase a Steyr Mannlicher in .30-06 at what I believe to be a steal with an older Zeiss scope on it. Came in the store yesterday and the library bought it. I can get it just a bit over what the store bought it for, less than $1000.

This is one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen. Full stock that is flawless, full blueing with no blemishes. Not sure of the manufacture date of the rifle or the scope, but the scope looks to be a bit older than any of the current models.

This is something I would LOVE to hunt with just to see the looks from anyone I run across. I figure with it being a very common round it "should" be a heck of a shooter.

Anyone know anything about these? I've done the Goggle thing and the only conclusion I've come up with is I would be a complete and total fool to let this pass. I found nothing as far as accuracy, though I know Steyr has been around for years and I'm fairly certain that a firearm manufacturer won't last long if you can't put the bullet where it needs to be.

Any and all info is much appreciated!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Re: Steyr Mannlicher

Post by silvertip-co » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 pm

If its one with the butterknife bolt and you can afford it you should. You'll never be sorry. Hemingway had one and kilt tons of game with it but I forget what calibre.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 pm

As for the accuracy they have been great for many years and will be great for many years to come

Just have the head space checked if that is good and the throat is not shot out, get it

V/R
M. Bird

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, somewhat sorry to say I let it pass. If it had been in .270 I would have gotten it in a heart beat. It was sold a couple of weeks ago. I was going to wait until the end of this month and then I would have been able to get it for $50 over what the store bought it for.

Still kind of kicking myself over it.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm

There will be another come along to steal your heart again soon.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Well...

something else has come along! Though it is about as far from anything you would ever consider for any type of hunting. It is a long gun. It is a (remake) of an iconic American firearm. The original was made soley for LEO's and later the military.

I'll post a pic when I bring it home. REALLY had to sweet talk the wife into letting me get it. Bad news is I have to put it on lay away as she won't let me buy it out right.

From the little bit of a hint, anyone that can guess what it might be gets a cookie lol

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:55 pm

ABert wrote:Well...

something else has come along! Though it is about as far from anything you would ever consider for any type of hunting. It is a long gun. It is a (remake) of an iconic American firearm. The original was made soley for LEO's and later the military.

I'll post a pic when I bring it home. REALLY had to sweet talk the wife into letting me get it. Bad news is I have to put it on lay away as she won't let me buy it out right.

From the little bit of a hint, anyone that can guess what it might be gets a cookie lol
I was originally thinking Thompson SMG, but those were available to the public so ...

???

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 am

bh107 wins the cookie! (baking it right now and should be in tomorrow's mail)

Auto Ordinance bought the rights to remanufacture Thompson 1927 A1's and the military version, I believe 1928's? The major difference between these remakes and the originals, aside from price, is the AO ones are semi-auto. An original Tommy gun, with full auto, will go from around $15,000 to $25,000! I think I can get by with owning a semi-auto remake for considerably less.

We just happen to have on in the store at the moment that I put on hold yesterday until I could talk to the wife. The 1927 A1 (the '30s "gangster" version) comes with a 10 stick magazine and a 50 round drum magazine and gun case in the shape of a violin. And true to the original it shoots .45 ACP's.

I can think of no practical reason that I would even need something like this, but I have ALWAYS loved these guns from when I was a little kid. Plus, can you imagine the looks on peoples' faces when I show up a the range with a rather large violin case? And then pull out a Tommy gun with the drum magazine?!?

Oh, a 100 round double drum magazine is also available, but I highly doubt I'll be getting one of those. The gun weighs more than enough by itself. Adding the weight of a 50 round drum fully loaded will be a handful to say the least.

I think I might just have to take up reloading in the very near future.

I'll start another thread when I finally bring the Tommy home and post up some pics.

Curse this job of mine at Cabela's! #-o

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:21 pm

ABert wrote:bh107 wins the cookie! (baking it right now and should be in tomorrow's mail)

Auto Ordinance bought the rights to remanufacture Thompson 1927 A1's and the military version, I believe 1928's? The major difference between these remakes and the originals, aside from price, is the AO ones are semi-auto. An original Tommy gun, with full auto, will go from around $15,000 to $25,000! I think I can get by with owning a semi-auto remake for considerably less.

We just happen to have on in the store at the moment that I put on hold yesterday until I could talk to the wife. The 1927 A1 (the '30s "gangster" version) comes with a 10 stick magazine and a 50 round drum magazine and gun case in the shape of a violin. And true to the original it shoots .45 ACP's.

I can think of no practical reason that I would even need something like this, but I have ALWAYS loved these guns from when I was a little kid. Plus, can you imagine the looks on peoples' faces when I show up a the range with a rather large violin case? And then pull out a Tommy gun with the drum magazine?!?

Oh, a 100 round double drum magazine is also available, but I highly doubt I'll be getting one of those. The gun weighs more than enough by itself. Adding the weight of a 50 round drum fully loaded will be a handful to say the least.

I think I might just have to take up reloading in the very near future.

I'll start another thread when I finally bring the Tommy home and post up some pics.

Curse this job of mine at Cabela's! #-o
The M1921A1 was actually the first version, and it was offered to the public in full auto. The M1927 was a semi-only version that was also available to the public, but easily upgraded to full auto. The military used the M1928 and then the M1 variant.

Auto Ordinance was started by General Thompson and his investors for the sole purpose of building that gun, although many were built by Colt and Savage for Auto Ordinance.

All of the original M1927s are considered a full auto even if they have not been convereted.

In 1974 Auto Ordinance started building the M1927A1 again for civilian collectors, but modifications were made to make it semi-auto only.

Have fun with it when you get it. They are a blast to shoot!