Weatherby reloading issue

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Weatherby reloading issue

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:00 am

Yesterday evening a friend came over to get my help starting reloading. He wanted to reload some 300 weatherby cases for elk and bison. The dies he has are CH. I've never worked with CH dies before. I put the decapping/sizing die in the press without thinking anything about it and sized a couple of cases. The first thing I noticed was that it didn't take much effort to size them. Then I noticed that I was pushing the shoulders back. HUH? Looking at the die really good for the first time I noticed that first, it is a CH die, since it came out of an RCBS box, it never occured to me. Second, it was labeled 300WMC neck sizer. Well, that explained the ease of sizing but not the shoulders. So I pulled that die from the press and looked at the other two dies. One was marked 300 Weatherby Seater and the other 300 Weatherby sizer. I put the decapping pin and sizer button from the NSO die into the sizer die and put it into the press. Mindful of the shoulders, I started to carefully adjust the die. When I got the die just past the point where it was neck sizing, I got my next puzzle. Instead of Weaterby style belled shoulders, I'm getting standard, Winchester style angles???????
Now, Curt got these dies used from a family member who passed away. The family member was messing around with making his own bullets and that sort of thing, so I wouldn't be too surprised to find that these dies had been customized. But since this is my first time reloading Weatherbys or using dies other than Lee or RCBS I thought I'd check and see if I was missing something.
Stupidity is expensive

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: Weatherby reloading issue

Post by M.Bird » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:06 am

with all the unknow on these dies: I would suggest a nice set of Redding: NOTE unless he know the history of his brass, I would suggest a Full Lenght Resizer,

That is one of the problems of getting items from relitives,

V/R
Mike

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Weatherby reloading issue

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 am

I would get a set of brand new dies too. Never used redding dies but have used RCBS and Lee and have had good luck with them.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28