Reloading Question

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Reloading Question

Post by waspocrew » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 pm

This is for the seasoned veterans..... Can you work up a load without using one of the powders used in some loading manuals?

I have a 270 WSM that I would like to begin loading for and I'd like to load it with some "cheaper" bullets than my box of Barnes TTSX I have sitting around. I was hoping to find some Hornady SST's, but Hornady doesn't list RL-22 in their handbook for the 270 WSM (they only go with RL-19). I have found limited loads outside of the Barnes manual (Nosler accubond), but they are still more of a "premium" bullet. I only have a Barnes manual and have been searching the web, but I intend to find some other manuals when I get the chance.

Can I reduce the min load for RL-19 by 10% and use RL-22 instead and then watch for pressure? My gut tells me to probably just get a different powder, but I'm interested in hearing from you guys!

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Re: Reloading Question

Post by Tyewire » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 am

Hey Waspocrew,

I love my 270 wsm also. There are a few loads out there for Rl22 if you look around for them. Handloads.com has one also Reloadersnest has a few. Personally, I would go with that gut feeling you have and buy another pound of powder for 20.00 bucks.

As far as mixing recipes, I wouldn't try anything that has not been proven. I usually start 10% down and load 3 rounds and check for pressure signs and work my way up to those max loads.

Good luck and happy shooting :thumb
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 pm

E-mail Alliant Powders. They have a great supporting staff. I've asked them questions before and they get back pretty quick. They can give you an answer one way or the other. I use RL-22 for my .270 Win. and it's a powder that Alliant recommends for it and magnums. (i.e. .300 win mag, 7mm mag.) So my first reply is yes it would fine to use and some internet searching is liking to find a recipe, but I would first check with Alliant.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

I have been reloading for a long time and I bet that I could guess the starting load for RL-22 based upon the data for RL-19, and I would take a guess right before I made the call to Alliant and asked a friendly representitive. Remember that going out on your own in reloading can be dangerous business, in my opinion it is simply not worth it and the data is always out there if you look for it.------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen