Shooting w/ or w/o bipod & sighting in

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
m48goat
Fawn
Fawn

Shooting w/ or w/o bipod & sighting in

Post by m48goat » Thu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey everyone, so i have a little situation, recently my uncle gave me a new harris bipod for free. ive never used one or cared for one really so i thought, why not try it. i mounted it on my tikka t3 30-06...the question i have is, since i already previously sighted in my tikka w/o the bipod. would the point of impact be different with the new bipod mounted on my rifle? or would it really not matter? im hoping this weekend i have time to go to the range and try it first hand and see if it makes a difference or rumors i hear are B.S....look forward to hearing your thoughts! :)
-m48goat

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Shooting w/ or w/o bipod & sighting in

Post by waspocrew » Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 am

I've never experienced a POI shift when using a bipod on my rifles... however, when I'm shooting with a bipod, I like to be prone with the bipod resting in soft dirt or on a mat on the ground. I've never been a big fan of using the bipod on the shooting benches because they are just bare cement and the bipod tends to slip when I try to settle in behind my rifle. Just try it out and see what happens! You'll definitely like the bipod in the field though. And welcome to the forum!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri May 25, 2012 12:45 pm

If you were resting the front of your rifle on something when you sighted it in before then it shouldn't change much with a bipod.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

m48goat
Fawn
Fawn

Post by m48goat » Fri May 25, 2012 8:47 pm

yea thats what i figured it shouldnt change.thanks though! i was thinking in the field it would sure help.i dont mind carrying the small extra weight it would add, my rifle is already pretty light also. do any of you hunt with a bipod in the field?any pro's or cons you guys have?

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 pm

long as your cheek weld etc.... is the same it wont change anything. in reality any minute change in what you do with your rifle will change the point of impact slightly. it just depends on to what extent, everything from a sling to elevation, air temp, barrel temp,fouling, shooting from prone or a rested position or shooting off hand, changing your cheek weld,etc..... it all makes a difference. there is a difference between potential accuracy (ie what the rifle is capable of shooting) and applied accuracy (what you are capable of shooting) for most of us, my self included, minute difference make no visible change. for those that are super ninja snipers it may. most inaccuracy shooting a rifle comes from improper breathing techniques, improper trigger control, and not keeping a uniform cheek weld. entire books can and have been written of proper shooting techniques. the best thing to do is go out and put range time in and see how it shoots with and without the bi-pod and from every angle and position you can realistically imagine yourself having to shoot from.
Romans 13: 1-4

m48goat
Fawn
Fawn

Post by m48goat » Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 pm

thanks gizmo! i plan on shooting with the bipod in as many different positions i can think i'd shoot in the field with it and see how it goes! who knows maybe i'll like the bipod and keep it on!

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri May 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I like to hunt with a bipod attached to my rifles. I was able to take a deer last fall and I was able to take a nice shot from a prone position. I don't think I would have been that steady off hand or sitting.
Pros: steadier shooting platform, increased confidence
Cons: little extra weight, can be uncomfortable with a sling when across your back, can snag on branches, aren't always useful in every situation.

I really think you'll like it, but you never know until you try it out.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

I use them all the time. Each rifle is different as far as effects of change on point of impact. It becomes a moot point if you shoot a couple hundred rounds from every different position. This will teach you alot about your rifle as well as your best shooting positions. After making hits all summer long on targets, whatever shot you get in the fall will become second nature. I have and use several Harris bipods and have found them very helpful in certain situations. Be sure to practice off hand standing as well as the added weight of the bipod will greatly affect the balance and swing of your rifle. -----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm

i use shooting sticks. they are not in the way while hiking in fact aid with that as i use them as a walking stick as well. can use them in various wasy to fend off the wife if walking on the heels and beat the kids when they are out of line as well. JK I love the shooting sticks as they are able to accomodate any height i need. i try to shoot while sitting mostly but it need to standing to see over brush so be it. shooting sticks work in all those circumstances where bipods will not. JMHO

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Spoofman speaks the truth. I use a bipod because I always try to get prone, then sitting. I have friends that have tried to get me over to shooting stick for years and I think they are on to something. I could write quite a list of reasons why a metal contraption hanging from your front swivel stud is a bad thing.....but then again I can say I've made some pretty fair shots from the old bipod too. If I were starting fresh, I think I would go with the sticks. You can always use a backpack or fanny pack for prone shots.--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen