Mossberg MVP

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Mossberg MVP

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 pm

Just wanted to update all my MM friends on some of my recent shooting adventures. Earlier this year, I picked up the new MVP rifle in 223/5.56 after helping a friend with his. I crossed my fingers that mine would only shoot as good as his and I have not been disappointed at all. For those of you not familiar with this rifle, it is a bolt action in a varmint/tactical format that uses AR-15 clips. During the barrel break in process, my rifle shot almost everything I ran through it moa including some really cheap bulk 5.56. The best loads at this stage were printing .6in 5 shot groups. After some tuning, I have finally settled on a load that shoots 60grn Nosler BT or Hornady Vmax bullets at 3180 and produces 1/2in groups. The other nice thing is that I was able to get this kind of results with several types of powders including H335, Benchmark, and CFE223. For anyone looking for a great, economical varminter, I would highly recommend this gun. For any gun nut who just wants to add a fun, unique rifle to the collection, get one of these. These rifles come ready to shoot out of the box with a great trigger, and a free floated barrel. Feeding is not as smooth as other box fed bolt actions, but it is definatley very functional. I personally have not shot a better varmint rifle in the sub $500.00 price range. This bad boy accompanied me on the first squirrel shoot of the spring and was a solid performer accounting for several great kills out to 300 yards. I think I must have one of these in 308 when they are available.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen