Long range scopes

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Long range scopes

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Just curious, how many of you out there are using some kind of a range-compensating scope such as a ballistic plex, shephard, dial turrets, etc. What do you think is best, and how far are you able to shoot with your system? Seems like there is a huge trend of hunters looking to long range set-ups. I know I'm one of them too.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Long range scopes

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:20 am

I am thinking about getting a Huskemaw

http://www.longrangestore.com/Huskemaw_ ... 100100.htm

The Huskemae 5-20x50 is what the guys from the best of the Weast use, althoughI do not own one yet I checked them out last year at The denver sportsmans Expo looks like a cool scope.

Have had friends who owned shepard scopes and had good results using them custom turrets are very popular now adays also. Kenton Industries makes them for almost any popular scope http://www.kentonindustries.com/

I personally used or owned some of the best optics out there and would have to say Nightforce may just be the top of the line Long range shooting scope out there right now.

The custom Target turrets are really cool and they do work you still have to account for wind but it can be done with some practice.

I like shooting long range but I prefer to hunt closer.

With the turrets your return to zero on the scope you use depends on the scope Zeiss has a excellent return zero tracking. Leupold depending on the model does well too although you may want to send it out to Cecil Tucker in Texas to have a conversion done before using the custom turrets. Although Leupold has just come out with a NEW line of the VX 3 this year one of which offers there own custom turret.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:12 am

Ya I was on longrangestore.com watching videos and those scopes are awesome
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:36 pm

For long range shooting using a reticles you need to look at the H25 system, very easy to learn, once you have learned how to use it, you will love it.

http://www.horusvision.com/

scope quality is outstanding, have shot this scope for many years on long rang shooting.

Best of luck
M. Bird

wackmaster
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wackmaster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:03 am

MY boys and I shoot leupold 6.5-20 with terrets. After load dev. and shooting over a corny. We run the numbers over a computer program to get come up. Then on a nice calm day we take the rifle outand shoot every 50yrds. out to 1500 thats wher my lazer runs out. If you wont to shoot and kill at long range you need to lonch big bullets with a high b.c. as fast as possable.
I shoot a rem 700 338-300 ultra 28"costume taper shilin bbl. jeweld trigger with drop safty set at 14 oz leupold 6.5-20 with knobs h.s. pro stock. the action is tuned the scope rings are lapped and welded in place, the bble is free floated. the rifle waighs 16lbs empty.
The hard part is finding a place to shoot to 1500 that is relativly flat at the altittude you normaly hunt. It sounds easy but when you get out ther its harder than you think.
After we shoot the come up. Its time to go rockchuckin to realy prove the rifle set up.
remember you get what you pay for. For my money it's eather leupold or night force thats it.

Longest shots
1432 yrds rock chuck
1107 doe antelope
915 bull elk
1287 cow elk
1360 buck deer
1010 cayote
1254 doe deer

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am

Wackmaster,
Thats an impressive resume! I have tried several different long range systems and have had successes and failures. Just a couple of questions. Who does your smith work? Do you buy your custom turret caps from Leupold, or someone else? and what bullet do you shoot in your 338? I have a 338RUM set up for long distance as well. Thanks for the great info.----shooter

wackmaster
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wackmaster » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:34 am

I own my own machine & welding shop. So I build rifles I have been building rifles sence 1982 and have been in the long rang game sence 1983. We didn,t have lazers back then it was all milled, or gess work. To day lazers make ranging a snap.
To get a long range rifle to work corectly every thing has to be right. frome trigger to scope .
I shoot hornady 225 interbonds. My son shoots nosler 225 accubonds in his rifle. It honestly took a lot of different loads to come up with these two. I shot 225 to 300 gr bullets and the 225 won out. I realy wonted 250 but the rifles said NO! But to be honest the 225 kill like a lightning strike!
For medeum ranges say out to 800-900 I shoot a 257 stw. It cost far less to shoot. But it lackes the killing power for big game. all the big game are shot with the 338.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:31 pm

I shoot the 225 accubonds in front of 98grns of RL25 in my 338RUM. This load produces about 3200fps and is very accurate. I have shot near MOA at 1000 yds with hunting bullets! I thought that was pretty good. I've never tried shots at game at that distance, but I shot a muley in Idaho at 863 and dropped him instantly with one shot. I got the bullet back and it weighed 208grns and was a perfect mushroom. The deer was slightly angled away from me and I hit him near the back of the ribcage angling the bullet into his offside shoulder. The shoulder was broken and I expected to find the bullet there, but it traveled down along the leg bone and was under the skin just above the hoof! This rifle has a 4.5-14 with a custom reticle by premier reticles. I had several of these made before they quit working on leupold scopes and I love them. I think that the turret systems are very precise, and great for target work, but I personally prefer the hold-over-dot system for field/hunting use. I too tried 250 scenar bullets and 300 sierra matchkings and my rifle prefers the accubonds. My rifle is a remington sendero with a bedded HS precision stock. The action is blueprinted and I had a kepplinger set trigger installed. The gun routinely shoots 1/2-3/4MOA depending on how I'm shooting that day. Glad to meet another long range 338 shooter. I also have a quarter bore in 25-06 ackley that is very very accurate and great for mid range hunting.-----shooter

UvUBowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by UvUBowhunter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey I figure you guys are the right ones to ask, I have a ruger 25-06 what would be a good long range scope that isnt gonna cost a ton? Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm

In my opinion, either the Burris ballistic plex or the Leupold B&C are the best. Both of these scopes have a set of holdover dots that you must learn to match to your rifle/load. With the right time investment, I have seen these shoot very accurately out to 600yds or so. Economy wise the Burris is far cheaper and if your not used to really good optics you will probably like this scope. As far as being rugged, I think both are good, and of course the Leupold has a basically worry-free warranty.------shooter