7mm ultra mag

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

7mm ultra mag

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Anybody have any experience with this cartridge, I have a friend that wants to buy one. I have heard bad reports and have always avoided the cartridge. Some guys in my old shooting club in Cali had troubles with the cases when handloading. Trying to get some feedback to give him before he takes the dive.----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: 7mm ultra mag

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Great Ballistics but can be problem mattic if reloading(pressures).

A 7mm STW will give you similar performance, I reload for my 7 STW and have no problems :thumb
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:46 pm

I have an STW as well as a Dakota in 7mm and have had no problems with either, but I can't seem to convince my friend to "settle" for one of these"smaller" 7's. We'll see.----shooter

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:37 pm

I've really liked my 7 Ultra Mag.

One day when I was setting it up for my bison hunt I shot a bunch of rounds to see what would happen when the gun got hot. This group was shot while the gun was so hot that I had a hard time seeing through the scope from the heatwaves coming off the barrel.

7MM Ultra Mag. 200 yard group. 10 shot group

I had forgot my spotting scope that day so the group is off but it's a good group for the conditions it was shot under. I had shot about a dozen rounds at other targets first before moving to this target and over all I have liked the way it is shooting.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:25 pm

a_bow_nut,

Do you handload, or shoot factory loads? What rifle do you have? Your right, every one of those shots would put a mulie in the dirt at 200yds.----shooter

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 pm

I handload all of my hunting loads. I learned along time ago that though factory ammo does a good job I can get far better groups when I do my own hand loading. When I get real picky about my varmit loads that I will be shooting long range I'll even weigh the bullets and seperate out any that have even the slightest variation in weight. I used to laugh at my brother-in-law when he was telling about doing it till he was making shots that I couldn't make consistantly(sp).

The rifle is a Remington Sendero with the synthetic stock, bedded action, and the stainless fluted barrel. As you can see by my name guns aren't my first choice of hunting weapon but as I was thinking of all the hunts that I would like to go on I figured that I had better have one gun that could handle all of the species that I would like to hunt.

As I looked at bullets I was impressed with the way the 7MM rounds performed. This bullet is chambered in many different ways and they all perform very well. The reason that I chose the Ultra Mag. is that I wanted the extra power that the 7 mag. didn't have. That way if I wanted to load it down then I could.

So far I haven't had any pressure problems but i got lucky and found a load that shoots well through my set up so I didn't have to move up or down to much and have to worry about pressure problems.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:52 am

The rifle is a Remington Sendero with the synthetic stock, bedded action, and the stainless fluted barrel.
Excellent choice in action and rilfe :thumb

Glad the reloads are working for you had a 7mm Ultra and had trouble finding the right recipe for reloading with out losing speed. If I backed off the load a bit the groups would tighten up but I would lose velocity, if I went up I ended up with pressure signs. Factory ammo on the other hand always did real well for me as long as I gave the rifle time to cool. Awesome Ballistics in that caliber though.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

wackmaster
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wackmaster » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 am

My three sons all shoot the 7mm rem ultra. All tree rifle shoot grate no problems. It absolutly flours every think thay shoot from cayote to elk!
90.5gr RL25 fed match mag 162 interbond. Rem case The averadge vol. for all three is 3412fps.
All the riflels are rem 700 and have a .110 exteded box mag. so you can touch lands.
I have heard all the B.S. about the big 7 also,and to be honest we have had no troubles with it at all.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the great info, I have alot of experience with the other sevens, but none with the ultra, so I appreciate it. What a resource we have on this forum! I love it.----shooter