Limb Saver Barrel De-resonator

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Re: Limb Saver Barrel De-resonator

Post by quebechunter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:38 pm

just a personnal experience on resting on the barrel instead of the forearm.
my uncle last summer was wondering why his rifle ( rem 700 in 7 mm rum)
would sometime shoot bullseye at 250 y and other time he would shoot 12-14" high.
until i noticed that he was sometimes resting on the barrel, he actually didn't believe me at first
but had no choice but to agree i was right when that solved the problem.
my brother tried with is 300wsm for fun and same thing happenned

i knew it could make a difference but i never imagined it could be that much from this relatively close of a shot. i would have guessed 4-5 inch max at 250 y.

Nvbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Nvbuck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a browing bar .338 win mag that the front sling swivel screws into the valve body where the piston runs the action which is forged onto the barrel when you take it apart to clean the the piston port you have to take the sling screw out to get the forearm off after many head scratching moments on the range i finally figured out that if that screw is not tightened to the exact place is was before that the gun would shoot off sometimes by a foot no bsing after working up a load with barnes 185gr tsx i marked the stock to ensure i get that dang screw in the same place after that the gun shoots awesome groups especially for an auto imo its a bad design on a great gun and it reflects directly on what putting pressure points on a barrel can do

NRAssociation
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NRAssociation » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am

In my researched biased opinion, the de-resonator is a great product for a person that exclusively shoots factory ammo. Its a quick way to adjust barrel harmonics with out accuracy via loads. In all honesty if a person doesn't reload their own ammo and wants to have descent accuracy with factory ammo they could do it with utilization of pillar/glass bedding, good scope, bipod/rest, free floated barrel/tang, practice/good habits, properly adjusted de-resonator+ consistent factory ammo= descent grouping if all conditions are in check. :-k

poleokjc
Fawn
Fawn

Post by poleokjc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 pm

My Winchester mod. 70 300 mag was shooting 1/2 in groups when I floated the barrel and then it started shooting about 3 to 4 inches. I put another factory stock (with the pressure point) and it went right back to 1/2 inch again so you got me..

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:32 pm

poleokjc wrote:My Winchester mod. 70 300 mag was shooting 1/2 in groups when I floated the barrel and then it started shooting about 3 to 4 inches. I put another factory stock (with the pressure point) and it went right back to 1/2 inch again so you got me..
I've heard of that happening to plenty of rifles when guys float the barrel and remove the pressure points... I've read that if you have a rifle stock that has pressure points, you can temporarily "float" the barrel by shimming the action a tad to raise the barrel off of the pressure points. Then shoot the rifle to see what effect that has on your accuracy. If it seems to make things worse, removing the pressure points on the stock might not be the best idea. I've never tried this out though.