Defaceing critters?

Talk anything Taxidermy related.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Defaceing critters?

Post by maintguy47 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:15 pm

I've noticed in alot of the pictures that they've taken the face off of the skulls. I leave em on if I'm gonna have it mounted. Is it neccesary to leave the face on to have it mounted? I don't think I'm talented enough to remove it with out messing it up.

a_bow_nut

Re: Defaceing critters?

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:00 am

I thinkthat they are getting the hide off on these early hunts as fast as they can so that the heat doesn't start making the hair slip. If you can't get the hide cooled off or salted it can make the mounting process more difficult

When it comes time to mount the animal most of the time they only use the skull plate to attach the antlers to the form.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I've never "defaced" any of the mounts I have...

though they have all been taken in Nov during rifle season when the temps are just a bit cooler. I'm thinking a_bow_nut may be onto something with his post.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Its really not that difficult to do. I had my taxidermist show me a few years ago how to cape out the skull. there are really only three spots that are hard to do. You gotta be really careful around the eyelids mouth and tear ducts. Ive found that with antelope its exactly as was stated before just to cool them down. Antelope are the worst about slipping the cape holds better if you can get it cooled off fast. A cape just seems to fit better in the ice chest and freezer without horns and skull.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm

The skull also represents a lot of extra weight if you are not conveniently located close to transportation. If you do not intend to do a european mount it's easier to remove the cape and cut the skull cap off. When loading elk antlers on a horse it is much simpler and they ride much better if they have been removed from the skull.

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 pm

they can measure everything off the skull. as long as it is pretty cool it doesnt matter as long as u get it to the taxidermist fairly quick. the thing u have to watch for is hair slippage. once it starts slipping ur done and will lose ur hide. capeing it out is easy just watch around the eyes and take the lips the taxidermist will turn them. just cut along the jaw on the gum line. around the antlers can be tricky. i suggest cutting up not down.
Romans 13: 1-4

XxPSEaddictxX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by XxPSEaddictxX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:35 pm

gizmo was spot on...and with being careful around the eyes...be VERY careful around the tearducts just forward of the eyes...ites easiest to get the hide away from the antler bases by running a screw driver between the skull and hide...but one slip and your knuckles are done lol

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 am

You just need a longer screw driver. LOL
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

XxPSEaddictxX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by XxPSEaddictxX » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 am

a_bow_nut wrote:You just need a longer screw driver. LOL
I've had that problem my whole life brother haha ](*,) lol

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm

I think it just takes a little practice... I shot a small buck last fall and tried my hand at it- a little tricky but wasn't terrible.