Best State???

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
ccg1141979
Fawn
Fawn

Best State???

Post by ccg1141979 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:25 am

What is the best state to hunt elk in on public land? Maybe interested in elk hunting for elk during the rifle season and need more info on which state is better.

spotnstalk
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Best State???

Post by spotnstalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm

There is alot of factors to go into with that one. draw hunts vs otc tags,the number of hunters in an area, the number of elk in an area. Its hard to say for me. each state has a place that has big animals,with good access. I have only hunted 3 states for elk all over the counter so I'm no expert. But its starting to be a rich mans sport to hunt out of state.

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Best State, i would say Arizona, but you will be waiting a long time to draw a good unit. JMO

Kevin

BADrury
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BADrury » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:36 pm

We hunt Public land in Colorado. We have had decent success, for a bunch of Louisiana DIY hunters that can't scout until we are actually hunting. We were having to draw for tags. Now we have slid back to the 2nd combined rifle season and purchase OTC tags.
You're right about this getting to be a "rich man's game". It's tough to carve out the cost plus the vacation time from work. I find myself considering giving up my whitetail hunting just to make sure I can make my trip out west every year.

Good Luck
Brian

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:10 am

BADrury wrote:We hunt Public land in Colorado. We have had decent success, for a bunch of Louisiana DIY hunters that can't scout until we are actually hunting. We were having to draw for tags. Now we have slid back to the 2nd combined rifle season and purchase OTC tags.
You're right about this getting to be a "rich man's game". It's tough to carve out the cost plus the vacation time from work. I find myself considering giving up my whitetail hunting just to make sure I can make my trip out west every year.

Good Luck
You sound just like me, i don't whitetail hunt at all anymore. but i wouldn't miss my 2 week trip out west for anything.

Kevin

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 pm

BADrury wrote:We hunt Public land in Colorado. We have had decent success, for a bunch of Louisiana DIY hunters that can't scout until we are actually hunting. We were having to draw for tags. Now we have slid back to the 2nd combined rifle season and purchase OTC tags.

Good Luck
I happen to know a group of Cajuns that have been hunting CO for a number of years now, though they are from the northern part of the state. Great group of characters and we try to see them each year.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

C-rad
Fawn
Fawn

Post by C-rad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:02 am

If you want to draw for a tag look into Pa or Ky. It is hard to get a tag in those states but the success rates are high if you get a tag.

desertpointbrian
Fawn
Fawn

Post by desertpointbrian » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:53 pm

imo best state for big bulls utah
best state toget an over the counter tag and have success colorado or wyoming

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 pm

I would say New Mexico would be hard to beat, No point system good bulls plenty of public land. Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana in that order is what I would hunt if I could get the tags. Montana and Wyoming have good elk hunting but not as good as in recent years do to wolves, bears and so so managment.

If your looking to just get out and hunt Colorado is the way to go but lots of people to deal with.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

madabouthunting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by madabouthunting » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm

sorry guys, but i have to jump in on this one new mex is the place for me.