What frame pack for hauling elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Re: What frame pack for hauling elk

Post by buckykm1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 am

I use the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Frame, it works great for me. and it is a reasonable price.

Kevin

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:29 am

+1 for the Cabelas Alaskan guide pack/frame. I have the Alaskan guide pack with frame which is the bag/pack and frame with all the bells and whistles. I've had it for a few years now and it's worked out great for me. Helped my buddy pack out his bull last year and I was very impressed with how comfortable and easy it was on my back and shoulders with 100 lbs of meat strapped on plus all my personal stuff I had packed, and the built in shelf that folds out really helps position the loaf and so does the adjustable frame height. If ya don't need the bag and all the extras then I'd highly recommend just getting the Alaskan guide frame.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.c ... l+Products
Shooter McGavin

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 am

I've worn out a few of the Alaskan pack frames from Cabela's and I think thaey are the only economical choice. I've used them not only for hunting, but also at work hiking and snowshoeing very heavy loads into remote communications sites. I have carried 20+lbs of gear plus an optima deep-cell car battery 5 miles into a site with no problem.......other than sore legs! The Alaskan will wear out with hard use, but you will get your money's worth for sure.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Thunder Head
Spike
Spike

Post by Thunder Head » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:05 pm

How does the alaskan adjust for short guys? Im 5' 8" alot of packs i have tried on dont fit me.
Have bow will travel !!!

WI Canner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by WI Canner » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:44 pm

I have a Dana Design Flatbed. They are not made anymore, but you can find them used if you keep an eye out for them. I have carried 80+ lbs of meat out with no problems. It has a set of fiberglass rods which transfer the weight straight down on the hips, which allows me to carry more weight comfortably. Other Dana Designs frame packs have the same frame as the Flatbed, and may be easier to find, i.e Longbed or Shortbed. The Flatbed model is similar to Granite Gears Flatbed Hauler in that they are designed for large, unusually shaped loads. I have strapped a small day pack on mine for use while hunting, then I am ready to haul meat out without any wasted trips back and forth.
If you can't visualize something first, you'll never achieve it without dumb luck.

tenaciousC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tenaciousC » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I just got a badlands ox pack frame. I haven't packed anything but antlers with it yet but i know it was the most comfortable out of the six or seven I tried on... its a little pricey but I really cannot put a price on comfort under extreme loads.