Elk Question

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
NVhunter
Spike
Spike

Re: Elk Question

Post by NVhunter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:15 pm

If you are at a very high spot and able to look over a burn that is the perfect place to use the spotting scope. So it is all about where you are at.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!" - Bear Claw

Clackamas
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Elk Question

Post by Clackamas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 pm

If it is warm, north facing slopes will hold elk. Elk are big, noisy, and vocal, sometimes if you just walk, without trying to be too careful you can walk well within bow range. If you spook them, and they know what spooked them, they will run for miles, it not unusual, here in Oregon for them to put 5 miles on you in a heart beat. But if you are wearing camo, and they don't scent you you can bump them and actually make it work to your advantage (using a lost cow call).
An old timer once told me, 80% of elk hunting is finding them. It is true, be prepared to put on some miles to locate them, once you have, with a rifle cow tag just make sure you can hit them.

Elk have about a 6" space above the lungs and below the spine that you can shoot a high powered rifle bullet through and never see that elk hit the ground. If anything try to hit the mid to lower third and not hit high on a chest shot. They are powerful animals, I mostly hunt Roosevelts which are bigger boddied than rockies, but both species are tough to anchor down. I have seen elk with double lung blowouts jump over 9' obstacles and run through timber you can't. If you are in a steep location that can mean the difference between a 1 day paqck and a 2 day pack.

cheers and good luck. Elk is fantastic meat, my kids prefer it over beef any day.