OTC elk hunt in Colorado

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
G. Pile
Fawn
Fawn

OTC elk hunt in Colorado

Post by G. Pile » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Well,I didn't draw an AZ elk tag this year again unfortunately. I've done a bit of fly fishing in CO and I'm considering an OTC archery or rifle elk hunt this year. I saw that there were units by Montrose as well as Durango. I'm wandering if anyone has experience with an OTC elk hunt in CO? I'm not asking for handouts, just an idea of units to consider and what to expect. OTC tags will be available July 12th, so I'm just trying to do some research before putting a plan together. Any help is always appreciated and happy & safe hunting to all the tag holders :)

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Re: OTC elk hunt in Colorado

Post by sagehunter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Just go deep into wilderness areas where others dont want to go. There are lots of good elk on OTC public land.

coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Post by coloradobone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I would focus on something in the rout national forest. It is well documented that the rout national forest has the largest elk herd in colorado. I have never hunted it but I did hunt a unit next to the route NF and I will tell you there are plent of elk on the route. Many hunters coming off there with bulls in muzzy season. I agree with the above post about finding a wilderness area and hike in. If you do this you will find the elk. Like I said I have never hunted the rout but I have dont some research on Mount Zerkel Wilderness area in unit 14. This would definately be a place to excape hunting pressure (foot or horse only). This area had a big blow down of trees in 1997 (thousands of acres) which means lots of cover and lots of food. Like I said, I have never hunted this area but I have hunted close to it and if I was going out after some elk then the rout is where i would be. I you want any more specifics than that feel free to pm me and I will see what I can do. Have a great time on your hunt and God bless.

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm

I've hunted 65 and it used to be a great unit but you had better be in the best shape of your life. A few years ago the unit had a terrible winter kill and I don't think it has yet recovered on the public land. If you can get on private land in the lower elevations you'll have your pick of what you want, though.

I last hunted there 3-4 years ago and found exactly 3 fresh tracks on public land. Lower down on public land a heard crossed the road twice a day. As in 75-100 head. There are a couple of wildlife areas that are easier hunting but very crowded by hunters looking for an easy hunt. Never saw a track the couple of times we tried there.

Can't speak of any other units out that way.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.