Full Moon

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Full Moon

Post by 30Ultra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, I'm off to Colorado Oct 12th for the first rifle elk season. The full moon lands the day we leave home I believe. What luck! Any tips for locating elk with a full moon?

ABert

Re: Full Moon

Post by ABert » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm

I used to curse the full moon but have found over the years that it really doesn't matter.

What matters if finding where the elk are and being in the right place, plain and simple. They are still moving in the early morning and late evening. Weather, IMHO, has a lot more to do with behaviour than moon phases.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 am

I agree with ABert. I believe the moon phase has little to do with what animals are doing and where they are. Some of the best hunting I have experienced is during a full moon.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks guys. I was just concerned theyre travel patterns would be less predictable. It should be easier getting around before daylight if it's clear though. Thanks again,I value your opinions.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:18 pm

i've called in bulls and seen cows during full moon weeks. but we normally avoid the full moon like the plague. normally we let the moon decide our tag draw weeks we put in for. good luck.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

SoleSearcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SoleSearcher » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:38 pm

My son has a 1st season bull tag as well for central colorado......his 1st year to hunt. Looking at the moon phases in sept and oct I think that full moon will have them screaming their heads off for our hunt. I expect a tough nite's sleep the night before the opener trying to get some shuteye with bulls screaming in the timber behind camp. Daytime elk movement might be down with the full moon but they should be relatively easy to locate by ear at night and call in the next day. Here's to hopin for that scenario for us at least.
"ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE, NEVER AN ORDEAL"