Fish Lake Late Hunt

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
vball85jb
Fawn
Fawn

Fish Lake Late Hunt

Post by vball85jb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 am

Hello all,

This year my brother and father in law drew tags for the Fish Lake late hunt. We have a cousin that has hunted down there during archery so he is going to give us some help about the area but he hasn't been down there for 2-3 years and hunts much earlier in the season. He took a 325 bull :thumb after shooting just under a 350+ bull the day before. ](*,)

We are headed down in September and October to do some scouting. Can anyone recommend a good spot to base camp with or without a pull trailer? My father in law is very limited in his mobility, he's a disabled vet (back issues) from the Vietnam war and 20 year retired police officer for Ogden.

We have horses and a couple 4 wheelers, so we can get into the backcountry. My father in law was talking with some 4 wheeler riders that had been down there this summer and they said the atv trails are really bad, washed out, rutted, basically expert rider only, how accurate is that info? I know their was the fire down there but with so little rain I wouldn't think the trails would be washed out, but I guess there have been a lot of flash floods in S. Utah.

This is the 1st time our family has drawn out for any limited entry hunts, so we are all excited for them. Me and my dad are now at 14 points so we are hoping out names are pulled in the next year or two. Until then we will keep hunting the Uintas and wishing the state of Utah would help feed the bulls that head into WY to keep the herds from being butchered during depredation hunts in WY.

vball85jb
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Fish Lake Late Hunt

Post by vball85jb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Just a quick public shoutout of thanks for the information sent by PM. I really appreciate it, and I know my FiL and brother are going to as well.