Utah LE elk tag?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
DeadI

Utah LE elk tag?

Post by DeadI » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Rifle or muzz season? Which do you think is the better tag to have? Not unit specific.
Deadi

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Utah LE elk tag?

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Rifle, it's in the middle of the RUT.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:32 pm

I agree with Brett for the most part. I drew a MZ tag on the Puans in '09 and it had been pretty well picked over by the rifle hunters. Now I know that is a little different situation than most other units due to the then small elk population that was on the Pauns at the time. As far as the rut goes it was winding down but the action was still pretty hot most mornings.

highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Post by highcountryarchery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm

early rifle is the way to go

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm

This last year the rut was more in the muzz hunt due to the warm weather though. So it depends on the year
Deadi

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 pm

I think I'd take a muzzleloader tag... still get the rut & it's slightly easier to draw the tag.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

muzzlehunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by muzzlehunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 am

Muzzleloader is in the rut also been on 3 le muzzleloader hunts. Bulls were going crazy on every hunt. Odds are alot better to draw also.

MeltedSnowman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MeltedSnowman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Muzzleloader hands down. No orange required. Bulls are going nuts. Fewer hunters. Less points to draw. 50 yds is much more satisfying than shooting one 300 yds away IMHO.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

MeltedSnowman wrote:Fewer hunters.
That may not necessarily be true... in most of the State you have all the general muzzleloader deer guys also in the field. This is the one thing that makes me second guess the LE muzzleloader elk. Consider this... there are six different units I'm considering for next year & of those six units each are general deer areas. If you consider the number of LE elk tags plus the general deer tags there's a lot more people out there than the early rifle. Here's the numbers:
- Cache, South: 42 early rifle tags, 17 muzzy elk tags AND ~1100 general muzzy deer hunters
- Wasatch Mountains: 174 early rifle tags, 115 muzzy elk tags AND ~1400 general muzzy deer hunters

Not all units are like that though... most are quite manageable with the number of general deer tags offered:
- La Sal Mountains: 30 early rifle tags, 13 muzzy elk tags AND ~300 general muzzy deer hunters
- Oquirrh-Stansbury: 8 early rifle tags, 5 muzzy elk tags AND ~300 general muzy deer hunters
- Plateau, Fishlake: 58 early rifle tags, 23 muzzy elk tags AND ~200 general muzzy deer hunters
- West Desert, Deep Creek: 11 early rifle tags, 7 muzzy elk tags AND ~50 general muzzy deer hunters

As you can see, some areas will be much more crowded than others... Cache & Wasatch, YIKES! But each area will contain several times the amount of pressure on the muzzleloader hunt than the early rifle. The only way to truly guarantee that you have fewer hunters on the muzzy hunt would be to draw an area that is also LE for deer (e.g. Book Cliffs, Paunsaugunt, Diamond Mountain, San Juan).

I agree 100% with everything else mentioned though... no orange, bulls going crazy, having a "close encounter" experience, and less time to draw.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore