diy elk hunt question

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Bonehead_26
Spike
Spike

diy elk hunt question

Post by Bonehead_26 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi Y'all i HavE Been Looking InTo A Diy Elk Hunt That Has Over The Counter Elk Tags I'm LeaNing Toward Colorado OR Idaho I'm Just Wondering If Anyone Has AnY Input On ThisThanks Fellas

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Re: diy elk hunt question

Post by buckykm1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Both are good, But what is wrong with just hunting in Utah where you live, there are OTC tags there too ?.

Kevin

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 pm

I agree. I harvested a nice 6 by 6. They are there just gotta put in the work and find them. Less expensive than to travel out of state.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Honestly, just pick a spot and go!
If you know how to hunt elk, you'll find them.
The best "over the counter" units can suck, if the weather sucks, or things just don't go right.BUT even some of the so called WORST OTC hunts can be fun hunts.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 pm

killerbee wrote:Honestly, just pick a spot and go!
...BUT even some of the so called WORST OTC hunts can be fun hunts.
I second Killerbee's statement and would add that you should pick a spot & stick with it for several years. I hunt one of the "poorer" general areas in Utah... low elk numbers, lots of private land, and on & on. Hunted the area for 30+ years for deer but only the last 2 for elk. Gained a little bit of knowledge that first year & was able to capitalize on it this year with my first bull. I learned even more this year and hope that leads to even more success in the years to come.

I've had an absolute blast each of the last 2 years, so just get a tag & go have some fun.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore