Any bull unit success, first bull

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
kchesley
Spike
Spike

Any bull unit success, first bull

Post by kchesley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Well don't have alot of time to go into detail but will say that I put in for Panguitch as usual, didn't draw, bought an any bull tag again and it finally paid off. Got up there thursday and set up camp. Went and scouted Fri and saw a spike with 4 cows and around 10 unknowns (they were facing away from us on top of a ridge and took off). Now I have been up there scouting well before the hunt just in case and saw 3 spikes, 2 cows, 2 calfs and a decent branch bull so I wasn't expecting anything big but knew the elk were there. Opening morning came and I saw nothing. My buddy saw 2 spikes but could not get a shot and then I ended up picking them up on the wheeler and saw a good branch bull but he was on the move in thick timber. That was Saturday. Hunted hard, hiked alot and covered alot of ground.. Wed morning I found myself on a good 4 wheeler trail and came on a good area that looked worthy of getting off and hiking down about 50 yards and blow my cow call. (It is a really good saddle with 3 draws that go down into eachother). What do I hear a bugle from the bottom of this canyon. I thought that has to be a really good hunter that knows how to bugle really good or a big bull maybe. I walked back up to the wheeler and took the key out and grabbed my pack beause I thought I would have to go down for a hike into this canyon. Got back down 50 yards from the wheeler and blew it again and heard the loudest bugle I have ever heard just below me and looked to my surprise was a big 6 by 6 below me about 90 yards. I blew the call 1 more time to get him to stop perfectly broadside and took the shot down he went. Out of 6 tags for the any bull unit I ended up filling the only 1 unfortunately but he made all that work worth it and here he is.....
elk 2013.jpg
elk 2013.jpg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Attachments
elk 2013 9.jpg
elk 2013 9.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
elk 2013 8.jpg
elk 2013 8.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
elk 2013 7.jpg
elk 2013 7.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
elk 2013 6.jpg
elk 2013 6.jpg (66.65 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
elk 2013 5.jpg
elk 2013 5.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 10912 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any bull unit success, first bull

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:37 am

Awesome work, you da man! Those aren't easy tags/hunts. Very cool.

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Thank you. It can be very frustrating hunting for elk on Cedar Mountain as you probably know there are few elk and so many hunters. Thanks

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Yep, people everywhere. You did REALLY well, I'm impressed.

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 am

awesome
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 am

Curtisshootsdeer wrote:awesome
i ment AWESOME super IMPRESSIVE
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you all. Sorry I was on the road in Colorado. Did I mention that this is my first bull and I am still on cloud nine. I can't wait til late spring/early summer to get it back from the taxidermist. I do feel really lucky. I heard there was a 6 by 7 taken just back in further than where I got mine and a 5 by 4 taken in websters flat so thats only 3 bulls I knew were taken on Cedar Mountain. I just can't wait to get to the point where I would pass on this bull "because I'm looking for a 350-400 bull". I couldn't even imagine. Just like Derekp1999 said in his post I became "hero status" at home. My 17 year old daughter told me before the hunt "Dad, This is your year I know it". Felt good when she got to camp and came running towards me for a big hug. And most of all my Dad told me "Son, I have hunted 26 years and have never been able to get a shot at a 6 by or let alone call one in(he never used a call) and you did it". He hunted Bookcliffs area alot before it became hard to draw out for and got some nice spikes and a 2 by 2. My uncles passed earlier this year whom I grew up hunting with and I truly believe they might have had something to do with it or I was in the right place at the right time and this bull luckily was still talking. Thank you all and just out of curiousness what do you think he would score?
Last edited by kchesley on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 am

Sweet bull. I saw a ton of elk up there on the bow hunt, way more than I have seen in the past. That's a great bull and it is a hard hunt, even though I've seen a lot of success this year. I had two buddies tag out also, one was probably pretty close to where you killed yours. Both were respectable bulls but yours is the best I've seen. Good work, I wouldn't doubt he pushes the 300" mark.

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 am

That is a Great Bull. Good job.

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you and if he does make the 300" that is all the better but to be able to take my first bull to the taxidermist I have no complaints. I really just wanted elk meat in the freezer and would've shot a spike in a heartbeat. Tough, tough unit because it is so thick and there are not that many vantage points where you can glass from atop a ridge unless you are in Websters flat area. I was closer to Swains Creek/Strawberry point where it is ungodly thick country. Until next year....(Thank god for shed huntin, less work after you find em)